Sears Recital Hall
The H. Troy and Eileen Sears Recital Hall is a 183-seat facility located on the first floor of the Jesse Philips Humanities Center at the University of Dayton. The recital hall supports events from both on-campus and off-campus groups and organizations.
Biography of H. Troy and Eileen Sears
Thanks to a love for music and a $1.3 Million gift from H. Troy and Eileen Sears, who both taught at UD more than 30 years ago, the 183 seat H. Troy and Eileen Sears Recital Hall was completed in 1992.
Eileen Sears used to sit down at a piano near her husband Troy and with nimble fingers that belied her years, would play the University of Dayton fight song by ear.
Mrs. Sears served as the director of the student union in the 50s and taught music and education for 40 years in the Dayton Public Schools as well as UD. Mr. Sears, a 1940 UD graduate, taught business management at his alma mater before devoting his working life to Wright Patterson Air Force Base where he retired as chief of contract terminations. Both received their master's degrees from Ohio State University; she in music and he in education.
Mr. Sears died in December 1999 at the age of 99 and Mrs. Sears in September 2004 at the age of 103.