Requirements for the program are as follows:
1. At least 24 hours of credit must be taken within the Department of Communication.
2. Up to 12 hours of credit may be scheduled outside the department. These courses must be approved by your advisor.
3. The four required core communication courses are:
- CMM 501 - Communication Research Methods
- CMM 503 - Communication Research Seminar or CMM 502 - Rhetorical Criticism
- CMM 536 - Communication Theory & Models
- CMM 517 - Organizational Communication or CMM 571 - Mass Communication Processes & Effects
4. Each master's candidate writing the thesis must schedule a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 6 hours of thesis credit credits.
Demonstration of satisfactory progress toward the degree includes the requirement that students maintain a minimum average of B (3.00) in course work. Students who fail to meet this requirement are either placed on academic probation and can be dropped from the program. Students are permitted no more than 2 courses or six hours with grades of C or lower. Students who fail to meet this requirement are dismissed from the program. Please note: It is your responsibility to know if you have 2 or more C's in graduate coursework. If you are not sure, be sure to inquire before registering for additional classes. This is of particular importance to students who have taken a grade of incomplete in one or more courses. The office of graduate studies will make an effort to notify you by mail if you fall below the 3.0 GPA requirement.