Requirements for the program are as follows:
- At least 24 hours of credit must be taken within the Department of Communication.
- Up to 12 hours of credit may be scheduled outside the department. These courses must be approved by your advisor.
- The four required core communication courses are:
- CMM 501: Communication Research Methods
- CMM 503: Communication Research Seminar or CMM 502 - Rhetorical Criticism
- CMM 536: Communication Theory & Models
- CMM 517: Organizational Communication or CMM 571 - Mass Communication Processes & Effects
- Each master's candidate writing the thesis must schedule a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 6 hours of thesis credit credits.
Demonstration of satisfactory progress toward the degree includes the requirement that students maintain a minimum average of B (3.00) in course work. Students who fail to meet this requirement are either placed on academic probation and can be dropped from the program. Students are permitted no more than 2 courses or six hours with grades of C or lower. Students who fail to meet this requirement are dismissed from the program. Please note: It is your responsibility to know if you have 2 or more C's in graduate coursework. If you are not sure, be sure to inquire before registering for additional classes. This is of particular importance to students who have taken a grade of incomplete in one or more courses. The office of graduate studies will make an effort to notify you by mail if you fall below the 3.0 GPA requirement.