Coming to a Close03.25.2014 | Campus and Community
It is so hard to believe that I have one month of school left. How did that happen?! Where did the past four years go?! Every time I blog I am reminded of my Freshman self (as my picture is from my Freshman year).
As a Freshman I was still not quite sure who I was. I was quiet and unsure of a lot of things. Who did I want to be? What did I want to do throughout my time at UD? It seemed like there were endless possibilities that were overwhelming.
I came to UD under the impression that it would help me grow academically and would help guide me towards my goal of earning a degree in Education and eventually becoming a teacher. But, as a Senior, I have realized that college is about so much more than earning a piece of paper saying that you are qualified for a particular line of work.
Things that I have learned at UD, NOT relating to my major:
- I enjoy being involved and holding exec positions. I never thought that I would end up being in a professional fraternity, let alone two, and holding positions such as secretary, pledge educator, and social chair.
- I have a strong interest in health and wellness. Freshman year I started showing my friends how to strength train. Junior year I had the opportunity to become certified as a personal trainer and work as a personal trainer into my Senior year.
- My study abroad experience has taught me to become comfortable with diversity as well as have more empathy for our population of international students. It has also shown me that I can be independent and self-sufficient.
- I have learned to pay bills, budget my money, manage my time, and run a household.
- I’ve learned how to tell who are your true friends and who are not
- I’ve learned who I am and who I am not.
And each time that I look at that picture on my section of the blog, I think of how I really had no idea of all of the things that I was going to learn and all of the difficulties that I would overcome. When that picture was taken, I was just an innocent Freshman, excited about a new job and new possibilities.