Second Day Stress

01.20.2012This morning was a very stressful one. First of all, I woke up to toilet paper still in our toilet, which isn’t a huge deal. Except, when I flushed wouldn’t go down. Instead, the water level decided to rise a ridiculous amount. I don’t know much about how to deal with a broken toilet, but luckily my grandpa used to be a plumber, so I did know a few things. First, I tried the simple trick of plunging...but the level still continued rising. When the water was just about to the rim of the bowl, I decided to go into the emergency trick my grandpa showed me, of turning the valve so that the water would stop running. This worked, except that now our toilet couldn’t be used until we had it professionally repaired. Now, I was running late, because I had to walk all the way down the hallway to the public bathroom. Not to mention, I still had to shower and get ready for class. My first class was all the way at the Bombeck Center. Then, class was a tad stressful because I am beginning to start more coursework directed towards my major, which is exciting but also going to be a lot of work. My first class is about poverty in the classroom. We discussed our lab placements which will be at a Head Start program. But, what worried me most was that my teacher said that the most important thing on our syllabus would be the counseling center’s information. She said that this course tends to create a little bit of anxiety and depression, since you are dealing with children in poverty that may be hungry or abused. This will most likely be a difficult experience for all of us. Then, I have a break, which was nice because I really needed one after being overwhelmed with assignment and course expectations. At 3 o clock, I had my Child Abuse course. We did some ice breakers and introductions to get to know each other a little bit better, which was nice. And I definitely have a variety of people in my class. I’m hoping that this course will not be too depressing, but I don’t know if that’s possible considering the subject manner. Needless to say, Wednesdays may be a sad day for learning. Upon returning back to my room, I placed a work order for our toilet, and luckily maintenance came fairly quick. Things are starting to look up again, as our toilet has been fixed and now I just have some time to relax with the roommates. Phew! What a crazy second day!