Italy: A Harmony of the Arts
September 27 through October 8, 2011
Travel with University of Dayton faculty to explore the arts in Italy. From Milan with its beautiful Cathedral and world famous La Scala Theater to Rome, the eternal city, explore the sights and sounds of Italian art, music, and literature in several of the world’s most beautiful and artistically interesting cities. University of Dayton faculty members Dr. Linda Snyder (Department of Music) and Professor Emerita Andria Chiodo (Department of Languages) will provide an introduction to the sites we will visit. With their guidance, participants will discover connections between the various art forms and how they reflect periods of Italy’s history.
Program participants may register using the form below, or by choosing the Online Registration link at right. When entering the online registration site, choose the folder entitled "Educational Travel" and follow the prompts to register.
Please note: The registration deadline for this program has been extended to July 1.
- September 27: Arrive in Milan. Enjoy city center, the Cathedral and dinner.
- September 28: In Milan, partake in museum tours and an evening performance of Monteverdi’s Opera Il Ritorno di Ulisse in Patria at La Scala.
- September 29: Depart for Florence, with lunch in Busseto. Visit the home of composer Giuseppe Verdi.
- September 30 to October 2: During our stay in Florence, there will be opportunities for morning visits to the city’s churches and museums with free time in the afternoons for exploring, shopping, or simply enjoying the beautiful sites.
- October 3: Travel to Assisi. Enjoy lunch and a tour of Assisi with a local art historian.
- October 4: Travel to Rome. Dinner in the city.
- October 5: Visit the Vatican, with a Papal audience, if held. Visit Vatican Museums.
- October 6: Enjoy morning visits to selected monuments. An evening performance of Strauss’ Opera Elektra will be given at the Rome Opera Theater.
- October 7: Pay a visit to the museum of Villa Borghese and enjoy free time in the city. Farewell dinner in the evening.
- October 8: Program ends as participants depart for home.