- Phone: 937-229-5458
- Email: Contact
Alan Kelley brings extensive experience in the newspaper industry to his students when he teaches media courses here at UD. His articles have appeared in newspapers throughout the country, and he has worked in a number of reporting and editing capacities. For example, he has served as:
- Quality Manager, Executive Features Editor and Assistant Metro Editor at the Dayton Daily News in Dayton, Ohio, from 1982 to 1996
- Editor and Reporter at the Longview Morning Journal in Longview, Texas, from 1979 to 1982
- Assistant News Editor at the Austin American-Statesman in Austin, Texas, from 1977 to 1979
- City Editor, Wire Editor and Reporter at the San Angelo Standard-Times in San Angelo, Texas, from 1970 to 1977
Alan also has extensive experience in the nonprofit sector, though his notable service to the community. He has been president of the Oakwood Rotary Foundation; Public Relations Chair, Webmaster and process improvement leader for Quality Dayton; a member of the Community Advisory Board for the Junior League of Dayton; and a member of the Information & Referral Council for the United Way of Dayton. His excellence here at UD was recognized in 2007 when he was named Don Morlan Adjunct Professor of the Year in UD's Communication Department.
"I like pretty much everything about UD - it's where I met my wife, got my master's degree, and teach. I live less than a mile from campus. Mostly, I like the people here. My co-workers care about what they do and have gone out of their way to help me too. Students are challenging, interesting and fun to be around--helping them work hard to achieve their dreams is extraordinarily rewarding."
- M.B.A., University of Dayton (1985)
- B.A., Angelo State University (1970)
- Media writing, publication design
- Public relations
- Marketing, media business
- Quality Process Manager certification, Xavier University Center for Professional Development
- Leadership, Working, Problem-Solving and Facilitator certifications, Zenger Miller organizational performance training (Dayton, Ohio)