- Phone: 937-229-3237
- Email: Contact
Barbara Kessler is the area coordinator for the art education program and advises art education majors. She has extensive experience in the field, having worked as an art instructor for Dayton Public Schools from 1972 through 2002. She has taught art education classes at UD since 2004, as both part time faculty and as a full time lecturer. Since 2002, Barbara has owned Kessler Restorations & Graphics, providing digital photo restoration and collage art.
Awards & Recognition
- Who's Who in American Education, 2000, 2002, 2006
- WOAEA nominee for Ohio Art Educator of the Year, 1994
- Finalist "Excellence in Teaching Award" MCPEF, 1988
- Named "Outstanding Art Educator" Western Region Ohio Art Ed. Association, 1986
- Recipient of eight State Grants and two Ohio Arts Council Artist Residencies
MS in Art Ed, University of Dayton, 1996
- Presented workshops to educators on the local, regional and state levels on such topics as quilt making with elementary and high school students, mural painting, and integrating art into the classroom. 1984-200.
- Established Arts Week, a multi–media program to immerse Dayton Public School students in the arts. Events included guest speakers, workshops and daily performances. Partially funded by a grant fro the Ohio Arts Council. 1990-1991.
- National Education Association member.
- Ohio Education Association member.
- Ohio Art education Association member.
- Vandalia Chamber of Commerce member.
Curriculum Development in K-12 Art Education especially combining art with other academic subject areas
"Computer Graphics in the Classroom" in Trends Magazine, published by SIOTA
"Using Metaphor to Teach Photography," Masters Thesis, University of Dayton