Joaquin Alberto Barrios
School of Education and Health Sciences: Department of Physical Therapy
- Location: College Park Center, Room 209D
- Phone: 937-229-5609
- Email: Contact
- Ph.D., Biomechanics & Movement Science, University of Delaware
- D.P.T., Physical Therapy, Duke University
- B.S., Exercise Science, Creighton University
Licensures & Certifications
- Licensed Ohio Physical Therapist
- Certified Clinical Instructor, American Physical Therapy Association
- Heartsaver AED, American Heart Association
- American Physical Therapy Association
- American Society of Biomechanics
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Barrios JA, Strotman DE (2014). A sex comparison of ambulatory mechanics relevant to osteoarthritis in individuals with and without asymptomatic varus knee alignment. J Appl Biomech (accepted).
- Petit DJ, WIllson JD, Barrios JA (2014). Comparison of stance phase knee joint angles and moments using two different surface marker representations of the proximal shank in walkers and runners. J Appl Biomech 30:173-178.
- Caldwell LK, Laubach LL, Barrios JA (2013). Effect of specific gait modifications on medial knee loading, metabolic cost and perception of task difficulty. Clin Biomech 28:649-654.
- Barrios JA, Butler RJ, Crenshaw JR, Royer TD, Davis IS (2013). Mechanical effectiveness of lateral foot wedging in medial knee osteoarthritis after one year of wear. J Orthop Res 31:659-64.
- Boldt AR, Willson JD, Barrios JA, Kernozek RW (2013). Effects of medially wedged foot orthoses on knee and hip running mechanics in females with and without patellofemoral pain syndrome. J Appl Biomech 29:68-77.
- Barrios JA, Royer TD, Davis IS (2012). Dynamic versus radiographic alignment in relation to medial knee loading in symptomatic osteoarthritis. J Appl Biomech 28:551-559.
- Butler RJ, Barrios JA, Royer TD, Davis IS (2011). Frontal plane gait mechanics differ between medial and lateral knee osteoarthritis. Phys Ther 91:1235-1243.
- Barrios JA, Crossley KM, Davis IS (2010). Gait retraining to reduce the knee adduction moment through real-time visual feedback of dynamic knee alignment. J Biomech 43:2208-2213.
- Barrios JA, Higginson JS, Royer TD, Davis IS, (2009). Static and dynamic correlates of the knee adduction moment in healthy knees ranging from normal to varus-aligned. Clin Biomech 24:850-854.
- Barrios JA, Davis IS, Higginson JS, Royer TD (2009). Lower extremity walking mechanics of young individuals with asymptomatic varus knee alignment. J Orthop Res 27:1414-1419.
- Butler RJ, Barrios JA, Royer TD, Davis IS (2009). Effect of laterally wedged foot orthoses on rearfoot and hip mechanics in patients with medial knee osteoarthritis. Prosthet Orthot Int 33:107-116.
- Barrios JA, Crenshaw JR, Royer TD, Davis IS (2009). Walking shoes and laterally wedged orthoses in the clinical management of medial tibiofemoral osteoarthritis: a one-year prospective controlled trial. Knee 16:136-142.