Harold L. Merriman
School of Education and Health Sciences: Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Location: College Park Center, Room 207G
- Phone: 937-229-5607
- Email: Contact
- DPT 820 Movement Science
- DPT 846 Maturation Science (Geriatrics section)
- DPT 961 Clinical Pathology: General Medicine I
- DPT 962 Clinical Pathology: General Medicine II
- DPT 971 Clinical Skills Lab: General Medicine I
- DPT 972 Clinical Skills Lab: General Medicine II
- DPT 981 Clinical Issues Seminar: General Medicine I
- DPT 982 Clinical Issues Seminar: General Medicine II
- Ph.D., Biochemistry, Loma Linda University
- M.P.T., Physical Therapy, Andrews University
- B.A., Biology, Atlantic Union College
Licensures & Certifications
- Licensed Ohio Physical Therapist
- Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT)
- American Physical Therapy Association
- Ohio Physical Therapy Association
- National Lymphedema Network
- Medical Sub-committee, University of Dayton Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- University of Dayton School of Education and allied Professions (SOEAP)
- Secretary of the SOEAP Congress Executive Committee
- Secretary of the SOEAP Congress
- Reimbursement Chair for the West Central District, Ohio Physical Therapy Association (OPTA)
Articles and papers
- Merriman H. (2012). Is whole-body vibration an effective and safe treatment choice for older adults? (continuing education PT 44). Today in PT. 6(9):30-35.
- Jackson K., Edginton-Bigelow K., Cooper C., & Merriman, H. (2012). A group kickboxing program for balance, mobility, and quality of life in individuals with multiple sclerosis: a pilot study. J Neuro Phys Ther. 36:131-137. View journal and download (pdf) >>
- Merriman, H.L., C.J. Brahler, & K. Jackson. (2011). Systematically controlling for the influence of age, sex, hertz and time post-whole-body vibration exposure on four measures of physical performance in community-dwelling older adults: a randomized cross-over study. Curr Gerontol Geriatr Res. Epub 2011 Sep 29. Read >>
- Merriman, H. Lymphedema presents therapeutic challenges. Lower Extremity Rev, 3:57-61. (This manuscript was editor invited.) Read >>
- Merriman, H. The Lymphatic System. (2011). In Hillegass, E., Essentials of Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy. 3rd ed. St. Louis, MO: Saunders Elsevier, 682-707.
- Jackson, K., H. Merriman, & Campbell. (2010). Use of an elliptical machine for improving functional walking capacity in individuals with chronic stroke: a case series. J Neuro Phys Ther, 34:168-174.
- Jackson, K., & H. Merriman. (2010). Whole body vibration: neuro-rehab applications. Lower Extremity Rev, 2:43-47. (This manuscript was editor invited.)
- Jackson, K., & H. Merriman. (2009). The effects of whole-body vibration training in aging adults: a systematic review. J Geriatr Phys Ther, 32:134-145.
- Merriman, H. (2009). Lipedema: often confused with lymphedema (continuing education PT 07). Today in PT, 3(1):46-51.
- Jackson, K., H. Merriman, & P. Vanderburgh. (2008). Acute effects of whole-body vibration on muscle performance in persons with multiple sclerosis. J Neuro Phys Ther, 32:171-176.
- Merriman, H.L., C.J. Brahler, L.J. Dinan, & L.E. Finzer. (2008). Gender differences in motivation to resolve eating and body image concerns in college students. JEP Online, 11(5):24-34.
- Merriman, H. (2007). Practicing physical therapy in the South American jungle. Advance Phys Ther, 18(8):27-28.
- Merriman, H.L., C.A. Hegyi, C.R. Albright-Overton, J. Carlos Jr., B.W. Putnam, & J.A. Mulcare. (2004). A comparison of four electrical stimulation types on staphylococcus aureus growth in vitro. J Rehabil Res Dev, 41(2):139-146.
- Merriman, H.L., A.J. van Wignen, S. Hiebert, J.P. Bidwell, E. Fey, J. Lian, J. Stein, & G.S. Stein. (1996). The tissue-specific nuclear matrix protein, NMP-s, is a member of the AML/CBF/PEBP2/runt domain transcription factor family: interactions with the osteocalcin gene promoter. Biochemistry, 34(40): 13125-32.
- Bagchi, M., A. Van Wijnen, M. Katar, H. Merriman, J. Lian, J. Stein, G. Stein, & H. Maisel. (1995). Sequence-specific DNA binding activities of nuclear matrix proteins of mammalian lens epithelial cells. J Cell Biochem, 58:1-5.
- Bidwell, J.P., A.J. van Wijnen, C. Banerjee, E. Fey, H. Merriman, S. Penman, J. Stein, J. Lian, & G.S. Stein. (1994). Parathyroid-responsive modifications in the Nuclear Matrix of ROS 17/2.8 Rat Osteosarcoma Cells. Endocrinology, 134(4):1738-44.
- Bidwell, J.P., A.J. van Wijen, E.G. Fey, H. Merriman, S. Penman, J.L. Stein, G.S. Stein, & J.B. Lian. (1994). Subnuclear distribution of the vitamin D receptor. J Cell Biochem, 54:494-500.
- Strong, D.D., H.L. Merriman, E.C. Landale, D.J. Baylink, & S. Mohan. (1994). The effects of the insulin-like factors and transforming growth factor ß on the jun proto-oncogene family in MC3T3-E1 cells. Calcif Tissue Int, 55:311-315.
- Amarnani, S., H.L. Merriman, T.A. Linkhart, D.J. Bayline, & S. Mohan. (1993). Autocrine regulators of MC3T3-E1 cell proliferation. J Bone Miner Res, 3:157-165.
- Merriman, H.L., D. La Tour, T.A. Linhart, S. Mohan, D.J. Bayline, & D.D. Strong. (1990). Insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin-like growth factor II induce c-fos in mouse osteoblastic cells. Calcif Tissue Int, 46:258-262.
- Jackson., K., P. Anloague, H. Merriman, J. Cropper, & J. Linderman. (2008). Health Fitness and Activity Levels of Doctor of Physical Therapy Students. Phys Ther, 88. (online). Annual Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, San Antonio, TX.
- Strong, DD, H.L. Merriman, D.J. Baylink, & S. Mohan. (1991). Growth Factors Which Have Opposing Effects on Cell Proliferation Differentially Regulate Proto-oncogene Expression in Bone Cells. J Bone Min Res, 6(supl 1):221.
- Merriman, H.L., D.D. Strong, D.J. Baylink, & S. Mohan. (1990). Differential Activation of the jun-B Proto-oncogene by IGF and TGF-ß1. J Cell Biol 111:10A.
- LaTour, D., H. Merriman, C. Kasperk, T. Linkhart, S. Mohan, D. Strong, & D. Baylink. (1998). The Proto-oncogene c-fos-a Potential Regulator of Bone Cell Proliferation-is induced by bone Growth Factors. J Bone Min Res, 3(supl 1):554.
- Merriman, H., S. Mohan, T. Linkhart, S. Mohan, D. Strong, & D. Baylink. (1986). Evidence that a Skeletal Growth-factor-like (SGF-like) Factor Is an Autocrine Effector of Osteoblast Collagen Synthesis. J Bone Min Res, (supl 1) 1:455.