Assistant Professor, School Psychology
School of Education and Allied Professions: Counselor Education and Human Services
- Location: Chaminade Hall, Room 301A
- Phone: 937-229-3652
- Email: Contact
- EDC 517 Shadowing Practicum
- EDC 538 Child and Adolescent Psychopathology
- EDC 542 Crisis Intervention and Prevention in Educational Settings
- EDC 571 Biological Bases of Behavior
- EDC 572 Role and Function of the School Psychologist
- EDC 573 Orientation to Educational Processes
- EDC 710, 711, 712 Internship
- Ed.D., School Psychology, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Ed.S., School Psychology, Miami University
- M.S., School Psychology, Miami University
- B.A., Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)
- Ohio School Psychologists Association
- Trainers of School Psychologists
- Inter-University Council
- Southwestern School Psychologists Association
- School psychology program director (January 2011-present)
- School psychology internship coordinator (August 2010-present)
- Developed cultural immersion program in Buenos Aires, Argentina (Summer 2011)
- Faculty advisor for School Psychologists at University of Dayton (SPUD) graduate student organization (Fall 2006- present)
- Founder and Coordinator, Traumatic Brain Injury Interest Group, NASP
- Board Member, Brain Injury Association of Ohio
- Member, Statewide Traumatic Brain Injury Education Network
- Portfolio reviewer for Nationally Certified School Psychologist candidates
- Increasing educator awareness of traumatic brain injury (TBI) incidence
- Studying the efficacy of specific interventions for traumatic brain injuries
- Developing model service plans for students with traumatic brain injuries
- Developing and evaluating cultural immersion experiences
Forthcoming books and chapters
Jantz, P., Davies, S. C., & Bigler, E. Working with TBI in Schools: Transition, Assessment, and Intervention. Routledge Publishing.
- Davies, S. C. Best practices in working with children with traumatic brain injury. In Best Practices in School Psychology VI. Thomas, A. and Harrison, P (Eds.). National Association of School Psychologists. Bethesda, MD.
Refereed journal articles
- Davies, S. C., Russo, C. & Osborne, A. G. (2012). Concussions and student sports: A “silent epidemic.” Education Law into Practice, special section of the Education Law Reporter.
- Miller, C., S.C. Davies, & S. Hunley. (In press). Predicting high stakes test performance. Research in Middle Level Education Online.
- Kraemer, L., S.C. Davies, K.J. Arndt, & S.A. Hunley. (2012). A comparison of the mystery motivator and the Get 'Em on Task interventions for off-task behaviors. Psychology in the Schools, 49:163-175.
- Ayers, J., & S.C. Davies. (2011). Adolescent dating and intimate relationship violence: Issues and implications for school psychologists. School Psychology Forum, 5(1):1-12.
- Davies, S.C., K. Jones, & M.A. Rafoth. (2010). Effects of a self-monitoring intervention on children with traumatic brain injury. Journal of Applied School Psychology, 26:308-326.
- Gfroerer, S. D., J.Q. Morrison, & S.A. Hunley. (2008). Training school psychology graduate students to address regional shortages: A distance learning model. Trainers’ Forum, 28:5-18.
- Gfroerer, S. D., S. Wade, & M. Wu. (2008). Parent perceptions of school-based services for children with traumatic brain injuries. Brain Injury, 22:649-656.
- Davies, S., & R. Witte. (2000). Self-management and peer-monitoring within a group contingency to decrease uncontrolled verbalizations. Psychology in the Schools, 37:135-147.
Invited book reviews
- Gfroerer, S.D. (2009). Book review of Evidence-Based Interventions for Students with Learning and Behavioral Challenges. NASP Communique, 37(8).
- Gfroerer, S. D. (2009). Book review of Handbook of Multicultural Assessment (3rd ed.). Education and Urban Society, 41(3):410-413.
Professional organization newspapers
- Davies, S. C. & Peltz, L. (in press, Fall 2012). At-Risk Students in After School Programs: Outcomes and Recommendations. Principal Leadership. View journal >>
- Davies, S. C. & La Riche, Autumn (Winter 2012). Cultural immersion experience in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The Ohio School Psychologist, 57, 14-17. View journal >>
- Davies, S. C. & Jensen, M. (2011). Cultural immersion experience in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The Scoop Newsletter, (published by Southwestern Ohio School Psychologists Association), 2-5.
- Davies, S.C. (March 2011). Concussions: Mild traumatic brain injuries that can occur on and off the field. Principal Leadership, 12-16.
- Davies, S.C. (2011). Concussion awareness: Getting school psychologists into the game. NASP Communique, 39(7).
- Davies, S.C. (2011). Concussions: Mild traumatic brain injuries that can occur on and off the field. Principal Leadership, 12-16.
- Doran-Myers, D., & S.D. Gfroerer. (2010). School-based services for traumatized refugee children. NASP Communique Online Exclusive, 39(5).
- Gfroerer, S.D. (2010). Traumatic brain injury: Transition and intervention. Southwestern Ohio School Psychologists Association Newsletter, 2-4.
- Walk, A., & S.C. Davies. (2010). Munchausen syndrome by proxy: Identification and intervention. NASP Communique, 39(4).
- Doran-Myers, D., & S.D. Gfroerer. (2009). School-based services for traumatized refugee children. The Ohio School Psychologist, 55(2).
- Parkins, J., & S.D. Gfroerer. (2009). Chronic pain: The impact on academic, social, and emotional functioning. NASP Communique, 37(9).
- Gfroerer, S. D. (2007). Part-time work as a school psychologist. The Ohio School Psychologist, 53(1):10-11.
- Davies, S. (2000). New school assignment? Tips for a positive start. NASP Communique.