School of Engineering: Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
- Location: Kettering Laboratories Room 407
- Phone: 937-255-4651
- Email: Contact
- Muratore, C., J.J. Hu, A.A. Voevodin. 2009. Tribological coatings for lubrication over multiple thermal cycles. Surface and Coatings Technology 203: 957-962.
- Voevodin, A.A. 2008. Hard DLC growth and inclusion in nanostructured wear protective coatings. In Tribology of Diamond-Like Carbon Films: Fundamentals and Applications, eds. C. Donnet and A. Erdemir, 263-281. New York: Springer.
- Voevodin, A.A., J.G. Jones, J.S. Zabinski, and A.R. Waite. 2008. Plasma Interaction effects in ion-beam assisted pulsed laser deposition of Al-O-N films. J. Applied Physics 103: 024902-1-6.
- Muratore, C., D.R. Clarke, J.G. Jones, A.A. Voevodin. 2008. Smart tribological coatings with wear sensing capability. Wear 265: 913-920.
- Patton, S.T., J.M. Slocik, A. Campbell, J. Hu, R.R. Naik, and A.A. Voevodin. 2008. Bimetallic nanoparticles for surface modification and lubrication of MEMS switch contacts. Nanotechnology 19: 405705.
- Hu, J.J., R. Wheeler, J.S. Zabinski, P.A. Shade, A. Shiveley, and A.A. Voevodin. 2008. Transmission electron microscopy analysis of Mo-W-S-Se film sliding contact obtained by using focused ion beam microscope and in situ microtribometer. 2008. Tribology Letters 32: 49-57.
- Hunter, C.N., M.H. Check, J.E. Bultman, A.A. Voevodin. 2008. Development of matrix assisted pulsed laser evaporation (MAPLE) for deposition of disperse films of carbon nanoparticles. 2008. Surface and Coatings Technology 203: 300-306.
- Voevodin, A.A., R.A. Vaia, S.T. Patton, S. Diamanti, M. Pender, M. Yoonessi, J. Brubaker, J.J. Hu, J.H. Sanders, B.S. Phillips, R.I. MacCuspie. 2007. Nanoparticle-wetted surfaces for relays and energy transmission contacts. Small 3, no. 11: 1957-1963.
- Voevodin, A.A., J.S. Zabinski, and J.G. Jones. 2007. Pulsed laser deposition of tribological coatings. 2007. In Pulsed Laser Deposition of Thin Films: Applications-Led Growth of Functional Materials, ed. R. Eason, Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons.
- Voevodin, A.A., D.V. Shtansky, E.A. Levashov, and J.J. Moore. 2004. Nanostructured Thin Films And Nanodispersion Strengthened Coatings. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
Research and Work Experience
- Adjunct Professor, Materials Engineering, University of Dayton, 1998-present
- Scientist, Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), Technical Advisor for Thermal Sciences and Materials Branch of Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, AFRL, 2003-present
- Senior Scientist, SYSTRAN Federal Corporation, 1996-2003
- Fellowship Scientist, National Research Council, Wright Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, 1994-1996
- Fellowship Scientist, The Research Centre in Surface Engineering, England, 1993-1994
- Assistant Professor, Tula Technical University, Russia, 1991-1993
- Research Engineer, Laboratory Electrophysics and Electrochemical Treatment Research Analyst, Tula Polytechnical Institute, Russia, 1990-1991
- Laboratory Assistant, Material Science Department, Tula Polytechnical Institute, Russia, 1984-1986
Honors and Awards
- AFRL/RX Charles J. Cleary Scientific Achievement Award, 2007
- USAF John L. McLucas Basic Research Honorable Mention, 2006
- AFRL/ML Charles J. Cleary Scientific Achievement Award, 2005
- USAF Outstanding Civilian Achievement Medal, 2005
- USAF Outstanding Scientist of the Year Award, 2004
- Star Team research group recognition, U.S. Air Force Office for Scientific Research, 1994, 2002
- Award of U.S. National Research Council, 1994, 1995
- Award of UK Royal Society, 1993
- Ph.D., Materials Science, Tula Technical University (former Tula Polytechnical Institute), Russia, 1991
- M.S., Materials Science, Tula Politechnical Institute, Russia, 1986
- AVS Science and Technology Society
- Materials Research Society
- Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers
- Thin films, coatings and surface engineering
- Nano-composites of ceramics, metals, carbon and polymers
- Plasma assisted vacuum deposition technologies, diagnostic and instrumentation
- Thermal conductivity control with thin films and nanostructures
- Contact surface modifications of MEMS
- Tribological coating materials and technologies for aerospace