Joint Appointment with University of Dayton Research Institute
School of Engineering: Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Engineering Mechanics
- Phone: 937-229-3847
- Email: Contact
- Gawandi, A., J.M. Whitney, R.A. Brockman, and G.P. Tandon. 2008. Interaction between a nanofiber and an arbitrarily oriented crack. Journal of Composite Materials 42: 45-68.
- Gawandi, A., J.M. Whitney, and R.A. Brockman. 2007. Natural boundary conditions in the bending of anisotropic laminated plates. Composite Structures 82, no. 2: 201-208.
- Whitney, J.M. and R.A. Brockman. 2006. Free-edge stresses in unsymmetric bidirectional laminates subjected to axial load. Proceedings of the ASC 21st Annual Technical Conference, September, in Dearborn, Mich.
- Whitney,T.J., R.A. Brockman, and E. Iarve. 2004. Singular stress fields near contact boundaries in a composite bolted joint. International Journal of Solids and Structures 41: 1893-1909.
- Frank, G.J., S.E. Olson, and R.A. Brockman. 2003. Numerical models of orthotropic and lamellar grain structures. Intermetallics 11, no. 4: 331-340.
- Brockman, R.A. 2003. Analysis of elastic-plastic deformation in TiAl polycrystals. International Journal of Plasticity 19, no. 10: 1749-1772.
- John, R., D. Buchanan, V. Kramb, L. Zawada, and R. Brockman. 2002. Creep rupture behavior of Nextel720/AS composites with effusion holes. 26th Annual Conference on Composites, Materials and Structures, January 28-31, Cocoa Beach, Florida. (Best Paper Award)
- Frank, G.J. and R.A. Brockman. 2001. A viscoelastic-viscoplastic constitutive model for glassy polymers. International Journal of Solids and Structures 38: 5149-5164.
- Brockman, Robert A., Geoffrey J. Frank, and Steven E. Olson. 2001. Elastic-plastic stress analysis of gamma titanium aluminide polycrystals. Proceedings of the Third International Symposium On Structural Intermetallics, September, in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
- Braisted, W.R. and R.A. Brockman. 1999. Finite element analysis of laser shock peening. International Journal of Fatigue 21: 719-724.
- Sawas, O., R.A. Brockman, and N.S. Brar. 1998. Dynamic characterization of compliant materials using an all-polymeric split Hopkinson bar. Experimental Mechanics 38, no. 3: 204-210.
- Brockman, R.A. and T.W. Held. 1993. Transparency impact simulation: status and research issues. Proceedings of the 16th Conference on Aerospace Transparent Materials and Enclosures, August, in San Diego, California.
- Brockman, R.A., J.H. Champion, and J.P. Medzorian. 1992. Finite element analysis of tire critical speeds. Computers and Structures 43, no. 3: 581-593.
- Padovan, J., A. Kazempour, F. Tabaddor, and B. Brockman. 1992. Alternative formulations of rolling contact problems. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 11, no. 4: 275-284.
- Brockman, R.A. 1988. Geometric sensitivity analysis with local coordinate transformations. Communications in Applied Numerical Methods 4, no. 1: 59-65.
- Brockman, R.A. and F. Y. Lung. 1988. Sensitivity analysis with plate and shell finite elements. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 24: 1129-1144.
- Brockman, R.A. 1988. Computational methods for soft body impact problems. In Computational Mechanics, ed. S. Atluri and G. Yagawa, 1:10.vi.1-4. Springer Verlag.
- Brockman, R.A. 1987. Dynamics of the bilinear Mindlin plate element. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 24: 2343-2356.
- Brockman, R.A. 1987. Geometric sensitivity analysis with isoparametric finite elements. Communications in Applied Numerical Methods 3, no. 6: 495-499.
- Brockman, R.A. 1986. On the use of the Blatz-Ko constitutive model in nonlinear finite element analysis. Computers and Structures 24, no. 4: 607-613.
- Brockman, R.A. 1984. Economical stiffness formulations for nonlinear finite elements. Computers and Structures 18, no. 1: 15-22.
- Brockman, R.A. 1983. Explicit forms for the tangent modulus tensor in viscoplastic stress analysis. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 20: 315-319.
- Brockman, R.A. 1982. Numerical solution of large-deformation problems involving surface contact and impact. In Penalty Finite Element Methods in Mechanics, ed. J.N. Reddy, AMD 51, ASME, New York: United Engineering Center.
- Continuum Mechanics
- Plates and Shells
- Energy Methods
- Finite Element Analysis
- Advanced Structural Mechanics
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Dayton, 1979
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Dayton, 1974
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Carnegie-Mellon University, 1973
- Stress, vibration and impact analysis
- Constitutive modeling
- Finite element methods