Vijayan K. Asari
Professor; Ohio Research Scholars Chair Wide Area Surveillance; Director, Vision Lab
School of Engineering: Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Vision Lab: Center of Excellence for Computer Vision and Wide Area Surveillance Research
- Asari, Vijayan K., editor. 2013. Wide area surveillance: Real time motion detection systems. In Augmented vision and reality 6, ed. Riad I. Hammoud and Lawrence B. Wolff, Springer, July.
- Foytik, Jacob, and Vijayan K. Asari. 2013. A two-layer framework for piecewise linear manifold-based head pose estimation. International Journal of Computer Vision 101, no. 2, (January): 270-287.
- Arigela, Saibabu, and Vijayan K. Asari. 2013. Self-tunable transformation function for enhancement of high contrast color images. IS&T and SPIE Journal of Electronic Imaging 22, no. 2, (May): 023010: 1-22.
- Youssef, Menatoallah, and Vijayan K. Asari. 2013. Human action recognition using hull convexity defect features with multi-modality setups. Pattern Recognition Letters: Special Issue on Smart Approaches for Human Action Recognition: 1-9.
- Seow, Ming-Jung, Ann Theja Alex, and Vijayan K. Asari. 2012. Learning embedded lines of attraction by self organization for pose and expression invariant face recognition. SPIE Journal of Optical Engineering 51, no. 10 (October): 107201: 1-8.
- Islam, Mohammad Nazrul, Vijayan K. Asari, Mohammad A. Karim, and Mohammad S. Alam. 2011. Distortion-invariant pattern recognition using synthetic discriminant function based multiple phase-shifted-reference fringe-adjusted joint transform correlation. Journal of Optics Communications 284, no. 6 (March): 1532-1539.
- Gundimada, Satyanadh, Neeharika Gudur, and Vijayan K. Asari. 2010. Face recognition in multi-sensor images based on a novel modular feature selection technique. Information Fusion: An International Journal on Multi-Sensor, Multi-Source Information Fusion 11, no. 2 (April): 124-132.
- Seow, Ming-Jung, Vijayan K. Asari, and Adam Livingston. 2010. Learning as a nonlinear line of attraction in a recurrent neural network. Neural Computing and Applications 19, no. 2 (March): 337-342.
- Gundimada, Satyanadh, and Vijayan K. Asari. 2009. Facial recognition using multi-sensor images based on localized kernel eigen spaces. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 18, no. 6 (June): 1314-1325.
- Seow, Ming-Jung, and Vijayan K. Asari. 2009. Towards representation of a perceptual color manifold using associative memory for color constancy. Neural Networks, The Official Journal of the International Neural Network Society, European Neural Network Society & Japanese Neural Network Society 22 (January): 91-99.
- Optical Pattern Recognition Technique (with Dr. Mohammad Nazrul Islam and Dr. Mohammad A. Karim), March 19, 2013, U.S. Patent 8401332.
- Visibility Improvement in Color Video Stream (with Dr. Li Tao), September 23, 2008, U.S. Patent 7428333.
- Color Image Characterization, Enhancement and Balancing (with Dr. Ming-Jung Seow), April 22, 2008, U.S. Patent 7362910.
Selected Research and Work
Wide area surveillance
- Visibility Improvement in Wide Area Motion Imagery (WAMI): Shadow Illumination and Single Image Super Resolution
- Image Registration and Moving Object Detection in Wide Area Motion Imagery (WAMI)
- Tracking of Vehicles and Pedestrians in Wide Area Motion Imagery (WAMI)
- Object Detection and Classification on Wide Area Motion Imagery (WAMI)
Scene analysis and understanding
- 3D Reconstruction from Single Moving Camera
- Video Stabilization
- Object Recognition
- Multi-View Face Detection
- Face Tracking
- Pose and Lighting Invariant Real-Time Face Recognition
- Iris Recognition
Human activity recognition
- Phase Space for Face Pose Estimation
- Human Action Recognition
- Automatic 3D Facial Expression Recognition
- Nonlinear Techniques for Image/Video Enhancement
- Single Image Super Resolution
- Visibility Improvement of Hazy/Foggy Images
- Phase Congruency based Technique for Removal of Rain from Videos
Brain activity analysis
- Emotion Recognition by Spatiotemporal Analysis of EEG Signals
- EEG: Localization of Spatial Disorientation (Source Localization)
- EEG Signal Analysis for Brain-Machine Interface
Selected Honors and Awards
- Certificate of Recognition, Spotlight on Technology, Arts, Research and Scholarship (STARS) University of Dayton (Office for Research), March 2013.
- SPIE Senior Member, Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE), February 2010.
- Certificate of Excellence in Promoting Undergraduate Research, Old Dominion University, April 2009.
- Faculty Advising Award, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Old Dominion University, April 2009.
- Outstanding Researcher Award, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Old Dominion University, April 2006.
- Excellence in Research Award, Frank Batten College of Engineering and Technology, Old Dominion University, April 2006.
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Frank Batten College of Engineering and Technology, Old Dominion University, April 2004.
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Old Dominion University, April 2002.
- IEEE Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), June 2001.
- ECE 499 Machine Learning
- ECE 567 Machine Learning for Pattern Classification
- ECE 563 Image Processing
- ECE 595 Computer Vision
- ECE 595 Advanced Image Processing
- ECE 595 Advanced Digital Signal Processing
- ECE 695 Advanced Topics in Machine Learning
- ECE 695 Advanced Topics in Image Processing
- ECE 695 Advanced Topics in Computer Vision
- ECE 695 Advanced Topics in Image Understanding
- ECE 695 Advanced Topics in Object Tracking
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, 1994
- M. Tech, Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, 1984
- B.Sc., Electronics and Communications Engineering, University of Kerala, India, 1978
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (CIS)
- IEEE Computer Society
- IEEE Circuits and Systems Society
- IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC) Society
- SMC Human Perception in Vision, Graphics and Multimedia Task Force
- Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- IS&T Data Analytics and Marketing Task Force
- Signal processing
- Image processing
- Computer vision
- Pattern recognition
- Machine learning
- Artificial neural networks
- High performance and low-power digital architectures