School of Engineering: Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Location: Kettering Laboratories Room 363B
- Phone: 937-229-3017
- Email: Contact
- Monfort, J., and R. Kashani. 2011. Low-frequency thermoacoustic instability mitigation using adaptive-passive acoustic radiators. ASME/AIAA International Gas Turbine Institute Conference and Exhibit, June, in Vancouver, Canada. (paper GT2011‑46642)
- Mazdeh, A., and R. Kashani. 2011. Distributed parameter acoustic modeling of a perforation with bias flow. ASME/AIAA International Gas Turbine Institute Conference and Exhibit, June, in Vancouver, Canada. (paper GT2011‑46649)
- El-Sinawi, A. H., and R. Kashani. 2006. Improving surface roughness in turning using optimal control of tool radial position. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 167, no. 1: 54-61.
- Yu, Z., K.P. Hallinan, W. Bhagat, and R. Kashani. 2002. Electrohydrodynamically augmented micro heat pipes. AIAA J. of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer 16, no. 2: 180-186.
- ‘Active air isolation,’ patent application submitted May 2009.
- ‘Electronic bass trap for reducing very low frequency colorization in a listening room,’ U.S. Patent 7,190,796 B1, issued March 13, 2007.
- ‘System and method for actively damping boom noise in a vibro-acoustic enclosure,’ U.S. Pat. 7305094, filed January 11, 2002.
- 'Active boom noise damping,' U.S. Patent 5,974,155, issued October 26, 1999.
Selected Research and Work
- Kashani, R. (PI) Acoustic instability control in aircraft engines, Phase II Air Force Wright Laboratories. 2007-2009, Subcontractor to DEICON, Inc. $90,000.
- Kashani, R. (PI) Acoustic instability control in aircraft engines, Phase I Air Force Wright Laboratories. 2003-2005, $100,000.
- Kashani, R. (PI) Active boom noise damping in a SUV, DaimlerChrysler Corp., 1999-2001, $120,000.
Selected Honors and Awards
- 1998 Dynamic Systems and Control Division of the ASME Certificate of Appreciation for Chairing the Active and Passive Noise and Vibration Control Panel of 1997-98 ASME-IMECE.
- 1995 SAE Ralph A. Teetor Educational Award.
- MEE314- Computational Methods
- MEE439- Dynamic Systems and Controls
- MEE590- Statistical Process Control by Monitoring and Feedback Adjustment
- MEE551- Noise and Vibration Control
- MEE527- Automatic Control Theory
- MEE519- Analytical Dynamics
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1989
- M.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1986
- M.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1979
- B.S., Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, 1977
- Organized symposia on Noise and Vibration Control at the ASME IMECE
- Prepared and conducted short courses and training in ‘Feedback Control’ at Caterpillar Corp, John Deere Corp, and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
- Consulting work on Noise and Vibration Control Miller Valentine Corporation in Ohio and a number of luxury watercrafts (yachts) in the Mediterranean
- Control of dynamic systems with special interest in sound and vibration control, as well as Control of Manufacturing Processes.