- Location: Roesch Library 110
- Phone: 937-229-5141
- Email: Contact
Hector Escobar has been Director of Education & Information Delivery since August of 2007. As director he oversees public services within Roesch Library, which include Access Services and Reference & Instruction. Mr. Escobar has held a number of leadership roles within the American Library Association and the Association of College & Research Libraries. Prior to coming to the University of Dayton, Mr. Escobar was the Latino Studies Librarian at the University of Notre Dame from 2002 to 2007. He was appointed Notre Dame’s first librarian-residence in 2000. His research interests are in library end-user technologies and management of resources.
Hector currently serves as a member to OhioLINK’s User Services Committee. He serves as the collection manager for the Department of Psychology and Criminal Justice Studies program. He also collects in areas of ethnic studies and library science.
- B.B.A., University of Texas at El Paso
- M.L.I.S, University of Texas at Austin
American Library Association (ALA), 1998-
- Chair (appointed), Human Resource Development & Recruitment Committee Advisory Committee, 2009-2010; Member 2007-2009
- Member (elected), Committee on Committees, 2005-2006
- Member (elected), ALA Council, 2003 - 2006
- Chair (appointed), American Libraries Advisory Committee, 2004 - 2005; Member 2003 - 2004
- Intern (appointed), Intellectual Freedom Committee, 2001 - 2003
- Chair (appointed) of Public Relations, Spectrum Leadership Institute, 2001, 2002
Association of College and Research Libraries, 2001 –
- Instruction Section
- University Libraries Section
- Chair (appointed), Committee on Racial & Ethnic Diversity, 2003 - 2005; Member 2001-2003
OhioLINK, 2007 –
- Member (appointed), User Services Committee
- Co-chair (appointed), Training Subcommittee, 2011 -
Indiana Online Users Group (IOLUG)
- Chair (appointed), Program Committee, 2005-2006
Trejo Foster Foundation for Hispanic Library Education
- Board Member (elected), 2003 - 2007
Reforma National Library Association, 1997 - 2003
Texas Library Association, 1998 - 2001
Border Regional Library Association, 1998 – 2000
- Library process/system analysis
- End-user services
- User demographics
- Immigration and census data
Escobar, Hector. ""Reserves Through Sakai: University of Dayton's Primary Tool for Electronic Reserves.” Journal of Interlibrary Loan, Document Delivery & Electronic Reserves 20.4 (2010): 253-261..
Courtney, Nancy, ed. More Technology for the Rest of Us: A Second Primer on Computing for the Non-IT Librarian. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited, 2010. Contributed glossary..
Escobar, Hector “Reference on the Web: Finding Religion.” Booklist 107.6 (2010): 56
Escobar, Hector. ""eLibrarian."" Information Technology & Libraries 23.3 (2004): 135-136.
Escobar, Hector “The Tenor of the Times” Versed, 2004: 2-4.
Escobar, Hector “Society’s’ Changing Values and Information Freedom,” IFRT Report 74 (2003): 50-51
Hector Escobar, et al. ""The value of campus partnerships in redesigning library instruction."" College & Research Libraries News 63.5 (2002): 345.
Escobar, Hector. ""Four Years of Progress: The Spectrum Initiative Leads On."" American Libraries 33.7 (2002): 16..
Escobar, Hector. ""The Color of Leadership: Spectrum Institute 2001."" American Libraries 32.7 (2001): 10.