Tornado/Severe Weather Response Guide
Tornado warnings come just minutes before the event and time is of the essence. You will not have time to travel to a safe location. Don't wait for confirmation.
If you are Outdoors:
- Attempt to seek inside shelter if it is close by. If not, lie in a low lying ditch, culvert, etc. Cover your face and head.
If Inside of a Building
- Proceed to a below-ground level floor if possible, or get to the center portion of the building inside of a closet, bathroom, hallway, or under a doorway or other structural support.
- Stay away from windows, book shelves, and other unsecured objects that might fall on top of you.
- Cover yourself with anything available that may provide protection from falling or flying objects.
- Stay in place until an all clear is sounded or rescuers get to you.
- After the threat has ended, get to an assembly area or shelter where you can be accounted for.
Other Severe Weather Tips
- Have a battery operated radio available for weather warnings, instructions, and updates.
- Dress appropriately for severe temperatures. Wear multiple layers of clothing for cold weather and thin, absorbent, reflective clothing for extreme heat.
- Keep a flashlight, bottled water, and extra food on hand for emergencies.
- Do not leave shelter unless absolutely necessary.