New Air Terminal in Germany to be Named after Hans von Ohain
On Aug. 27, 1939, the world’s first successful flight of a gas turbine engine-powered aircraft made aviation history — and ushered in a new era of high-speed jet travel.
The success of that flight, which took place near the city of Rostock, Germany, on the Baltic Sea, was because of the work of Hans J.P. von Ohain, Ph.D. A native of Dessau, Germany, Dr. von Ohain was a physicist who developed the world’s first aircraft gas turbine engine. He received an initial patent for the engine in 1935 and was hired by the Heinkel Aircraft Company in Rostock in 1936. His gas turbine engine, the He S 3B, flew for the first time three years later in a Heinkel He 178 aircraft.
Because of his significant contributions to jet-powered flight, Dr. von Ohain will be posthumously honored when the German Aviation Traffic Ministry christens its new “Hans von Ohain” terminal at the Rostock-Laage Airport September 9. The new terminal is expected to handle 300,000 passengers per year. The following URL provides information: http://www.rostock-airport.de/site/managed/html/en_6_2_116.html.
Dilip Ballal, Ph.D., director of the von Ohain Fuels and Combustion Center at the University of Dayton, will speak at the inauguration ceremony September 9 in Restock. As a vice president elect of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Dr. Ballal will present an ASME plaque and read letters of congratulations from University President Daniel J. Curran and from Alan Garscadden, Ph.D., chief scientist of the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory’s Propulsion Directorate at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio.