Campus Card Services

Power House 102
Mon-Fri 8:30am - 4:30pm
800-259-8864 (Option 4)

What is the FlyerCard?

The FlyerCard is the official photo identification card at the University of Dayton. Not only is it your student ID card, but it’s also your library card, meal card and access card for the RecPlex, residence halls and labs. Your FlyerCard is valid as long as you are actively enrolled at UD.


What identification do I need to bring to get a FlyerCard?

Faculty, staff and students need to go to the Campus Card Services Office located in the Power House Room 102. Please bring a form of photo identification with you. Acceptable forms of ID include: driver's license, government issued ID card, or passport. Your picture will be taken immediately and your ID will be made while you wait. Faculty and Staff members must have all paperwork turned in to Human Resources in St. Mary's Hall before receiving their first card. Incoming first year students will have the opportunity to send their picture in during the summer through Porches.  They will receive their FlyerCard during orientation. Transfer students or students who did not attend orientation may stop by the Campus Card Services Office during regular business hours.


Who is eligible for a FlyerCard?

All current University of Dayton faculty, staff and registered students are eligible to receive a FlyerCard. 


Can anyone else use my FlyerCard?

No. Your FlyerCard is non-transferable. Only YOU can use your card. In the event the card is transferred to another user other than the original cardholder, the card will be confiscated by a University official.


What happens if my FlyerCard is lost, stolen, or damaged?

If your FlyerCard is lost or stolen, you must report it immediately to guard against the money in your account being spent. Please report a lost or stolen card immediately to the Campus Card Services Office or to any Dining Services' manager or supervisor.  A temporary meal card will be issued if needed.  You can also mark your card lost by logging in to your account online.


How do I get a replacement FlyerCard?

Stop by the Campus Card Services Office, pay a $20 replacement fee, and receive a new card.


What do I do if I find my lost FlyerCard?

If you have not replaced your FlyerCard, you may reactivate your card by stopping by the Campus Card Services Office. If you have already purchased a replacement card, your old card will no longer be valid.


What is Flyer Express?

Flyer Express is an online, prepaid debit account that may be used to pay for purchases at participating on and off campus locations. Flyer Express accounts with a positive balance will remain open and carry forward to the next semester or year for all registered students and active employees.


How can I open a Flyer Express Account?

All student and faculty/staff cards have a Flyer Express account. Your account will be activated when you deposit money into your account.


How do I add money to my Flyer Express account?

There are three easy ways to deposit money into your Flyer Express account:

  1. Stop by the Campus Card Services Office
  2. Use one of the Kiosks located on campus
  3. Go to and use an Electronic Check(ACH) or Credit Card


How do I make purchases using my Flyer Express account?

Simply notify the cashier that you wish to use your Flyer Express account and present your FlyerCard. The Flyer Express account decreases with each purchase.


Is my Flyer Express account refundable at any time?

Refunds from the Flyer Express account may be requested once per semester. Requests may be made in person or in writing to the Campus Card Services Office. All refunds will have the amount requested transferred to the UD Student Account. Refunds from the Student Account can be requested from the Bursar's Office if all University debts are satisfied. No refunds from the Flyer Express account will be made for balances less than $5.00.

Students, who graduate, withdraw or are dismissed from the University with a balance greater than $5 in their Flyer Express account will have that value transferred to their UD Student Account. Faculty/Staff who separate from the University with a balance greater than $5 in their Flyer Express account will have a check mailed to them.


Can I view my transactions and check my account balances online?

You can go to MY ACCOUNT online and view your most recent transactions and check your Flyer Express and Meal Plan balances.


How do I gain access to restricted areas at UD?

Contact the person in your area who is authorized to grant access. They will send an email to requesting access for you.