Law books can be heavy. Let us lighten your load.

You apply each year. But we're always here to help.

Did you know that the first step to applying for financial aid is to be accepted to the University of Dayton School of Law? The federal government requires that any student seeking the use of Title IV funds must first be admitted to a degree-seeking program.

Once you have been accepted, the School of Law's Office of Admission will notify our office so we can begin to prepare your aid for the upcoming year. Use the information provided in this section to receive that aid in a timely manner.

If you plan to use student loans as a means to cover the costs of law school, We suggest that you review your credit report on an annual basis to correct any inaccuracies. A good credit rating facilitates a lower interest rate and quicker loan approval for the private alternative loan programs.

The nuts and bolts of affording your education.

Most types of financial aid awards fall within one of two categories:

Gift aid refers to those awards that do not have to be repaid. Awards of this nature are generally called scholarships or grants.

Self-help refers to those awards that require something in return from the student in order to receive the funds. Awards of this nature include student loans and student employment. Loans will require repayment and student employment will require the student to secure a part-time position on campus to receive their paycheck.

Use your budget to manage your costs. Simple, right?

Direct charges for tuition, fees, housing (University-owned) and meal plan rates are set on an annual basis by the University administration. Variable expenses such as books, supplies, personal spending and travel allowances are set by the Office of Financial Aid and the UD School of Law (UDSL), and are based on average student expenses and federal guidelines.

The Office of Financial Aid, in consultation with UDSL, establishes the annual student expense budget which represents the maximum amount of financial aid a student may receive over a standard academic year. Included in the student expense budget are commonly accepted educational expense allowances for items such as tuition, fees, books, supplies, and personal spending in accordance with federal regulations.

Because most UDSL students attend full-time during the fall and spring semesters, our annual student expense budgets reflect these average cost of attendance figures. If your projected personal expenses are higher than our estimate, you are encouraged to contact a financial aid counselor in Flyers First to discuss your needs and the possibility of increasing your individual personal expense allowance.

The 'when' and 'how' of account management.

The Office of Student Accounts is responsible for the billing and payment process for all law students. Each student has a student account, which summarizes all charges and payments made for University services. The transactions in this account accumulate over the entire enrollment period at the University of Dayton.

For students who choose to forgo financial aid and prefer to pay their balance due over the course of the term, the Office of Student Accounts currently offers the UD Payment Option.

E-refunding is now the preferred method for refunding Financial Aid excesses to our students. To complete the one-time setup for this option, follow the instructions found on the Office of Student Accounts' homepage.

Adjustments to your schedule may affect your charges and aid so be sure to talk with a financial aid counselor if you must drop a course (or courses). Learn more about the University's refund policy.

We're just a phone call (or email) away

Although we've provided you with a lot of information, chances are you still have questions. And we'd be happy to answer those for you! Contact Helen Hart, Assistant Director of Admissions and Financial Aid, School of Law.

Phone: 937-229-3555
Location: Keller Hall, RM112

Office of Admissions and Financial Aid
School of Law
University of Dayton
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-2760