Below are a few things we would like you to know before graduation.
Sunday, May 6, 2012, 9:45 A.M.
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO ALL UNDERGRADUATE GRADUATES
1. Arrive at the University of Dayton Arena by 9:00 a.m. on the morning of commencement. Obtain a commencement program as soon as you arrive. It will assist you in finding your correct place in line.
2. Do not bring personal belongings with you that cannot easily fit into your pocket. The Arena and University personnel cannot be responsible for personal items left in the assembly area or in the seating areas.
3. The only accepted Commencement regalia consists of the mortarboard black cap, Bachelor's black gown, University of Dayton hood with the appropriate degree color, and University of Dayton Honor Cords, if applicable. The wearing of other types of garments, decorations or embellishments of a personal nature, or representing professional or University of Dayton sanctioned or private organizations, is not permitted.
4. You will assemble under the stands on either the East or West side depending on your major. Detailed instructions will be posted during Finals Week. Check back for the complete instructions.
5. Special Note for Undergraduate Dual Degrees: As indicated by the Registrar you will be receiving two degrees. The procedure is for you to sit in the section for the degree you specified with the Registrar's office. When you go to receive your diploma folder from President Curran, your second degree will be announced and you will receive a second folder. Therefore you will only go through the conferring of degrees one time.
6. During the ceremony, degrees will be conferred in the order listed in the program. At the proper time, your Dean will request your group to stand. The President will acknowledge the entire group at the same time. You may then move your tassel from the right side to the left side of your cap. Then please be seated until the marshals ask your row to stand.
7. Marshals will direct you to the front of the stage to receive your diploma from the President. Remember, a photographer will take your picture as you receive your diploma. Return to your seat as indicated by the marshals, and be seated. You are expected to remain in your seats until all the degrees are conferred.
8. At the end of the ceremony, join in singing the UD Anthem (lyrics are in the program). Remain standing as the stage party and the faculty recess. Marshals will lead you in the recession.
9. IF YOU ARE LATE: Check these instructions and the program to determine where your college or school is seated. Ask a marshal for assistance.
10. The professional photographer taking your picture as you receive your diploma will be contacting you by email at a later date and give you the opportunity to purchase your photograph.
11. Graduation is a time for both joy and respect. Please respect your fellow graduates and refrain from inappropriate celebration.
Timothy A. Wilbers, Marshal