Writing and Research Resources
The Write Place - University of Dayton
English Department Composition Program
Little, Brown Handbook
MLA Documentation Resources
Online Writing Labs and Writing Centers
Department of English's common readings on literacy
- Langston Hughes, "A Dream Deferred"
- Alice Walker, "Everyday Use"
- Brian Friel, Translations
- Frederick Douglass, "Chapter 6: How I Learned to Read" from Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass.
- Jonathan Kozol, excerpt from Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools.
- Shirley Brice Heath, "Protean Shapes in Literacy Events: Ever-Shifting Oral and Literate Traditions."
For more information contact:
Dr. Sheila Hassell Hughes, Chairperson, Department of English