Global Learning Living Community, 2013-14
The Global Learning Living Community is a unique upperclass community which brings together U.S. and international students to live and learn from one another’s unique perspectives. Members of the Global LLC are student leaders on campus for global education. Students live together at 225 Stonemill, part of Caldwell Apartments, in an environment which supports and nurtures students’ international and intercultural interests.
The Global LLC seeks to:
- develop intercultural competence and sensitivity among residents;
- educate residents for global citizenship; and
- help residents develop relationships with friends from different cultural backgrounds.
Interested students are encouraged to contact Tricia Barger at 9-4283 or firstname.lastname@example.org. An information session will be held on Wednesday, January 23 at 4 p.m. in Kennedy Union room 313.
Members of the Global LLC agree to:
- Serve as a student leader for internationalization and intercultural dialogue on campus. This may be done by leading programming in the Global LLC; connecting with the first-year Cross-Cultural Learning Living Community; and/or leadership in other intercultural opportunities on campus.
- Attend the fall orientation in September, and the welcome day in late January/early February.
- Actively participate in Global LLC programming and events, attending at least two programs each semester (not inclusive of the orientation and welcome day).
This housing opportunity is open to:
- U.S. and international sophomores*, juniors and seniors;
- conditionally admitted undergraduates and IEP only, ages 20-25; and
- exchange and visiting international students, ages 20-25.
Students may apply as a single individual or as a group of two or four students. Sophomores, juniors and seniors may apply for the Global LLC. (Caldwell Street Apartments is for juniors and seniors only, with the exception of sophomores living in the Global LLC for the 2013-14 academic year.) All members must be and remain in good university academic and disciplinary standing.
Students studying abroad in the first semester who are interested in living in the Global LLC for the second semester may be put on a waiting list for the second semester by emailing Tricia Barger at email@example.com. These requests must be in writing.
The Global LLC is considered Special Interest Housing at the University of Dayton. Students complete a three-step application process as part of Special Interest Housing/Global LLC Process:
- Each student must submit the Global LLC Application to Tricia Barger (Rike Center 203) by February 1, 2013.
- Complete the online 2013-14 Housing Application, at myhousing.udayton.edu. (Application opens January 21, 2013 and closes February 1, 2013).
- If you are applying as a group of two, three or four, your group must complete the online Roommate Group step included in the housing application. The Roommate Group name must begin with GLLC, then followed by the Group Leader’s name (for example, GLLC – John Doe).
The deadline to submit your application was February 1. You may submit your application and ask to be placed on the waiting list.
Please note the following:
- Students will only be able to participate in one lottery/process at a time. Students will need to determine which community they want to live in and participate in that lottery only.
- Careful thought should be given to the essay questions provided in the Global LLC Application Form. Decisions on acceptance to the Global LLC will be made based on these essays, in addition to GPA, discipline background and overall expressed interest and commitment to intercultural learning.
- Some students may be asked to interview as part of the application process, depending on demand and housing committee deliberations.
- All applicants will be notified no later than March 1, 2013. Thus, students who are not successful in obtaining a Global LLC apartment can still participate in the general student lottery process.