Rooms Named for Alumni and Friends

Visit the rooms in Keller Hall that are named as recognition for outstanding support of the University of Dayton School of Law. Each room has a dedication plaque providing information on the benefactor for whom the room is named.

Rooms and areas in Keller Hall are still available for naming opportunities. For more information, please contact Tim Stonecash, assistant dean of external relations, at 937-229-3793.

Ground Floor

Honorable Walter H. Rice Law Clinic Lobby
Charles Floyd Young Conference Room (Rm. 001E)
Patricia H. Roll Room Family (Rm.008)
Thompson Hine & Flory Student Special Events Lounge (Rm. 014)
Todd S. Richman Student Organization Suite (Rm. 015)
Porter, Wright, Morris & Arthur Student Lounge (Rm. 017)

Small Classroom (Rm. 018) Available
Law Clinic Suite(Room 001) Available
Interview Room (Rm. 001C) Available
Interview Room (Rm. 001D) Available

First Floor

Albert H. and Helen N. Scharrer Lobby
William Scott Andes Conference Room (Rm. 101)
Mathias H. Heck Courtroom (Rm. 102)
John W. Berry, Sr., Classroom (Rm. 103)
Professor Norman George Classroom (Rm. 111)
Faruki Gilliam & Ireland Office of Admission and Financial Aid (Rm. 112)
Gregory C. Gibson Campus Ministry Office (Rm. 113)
Professor Barth J. Snyder Classroom (Rm. 115)
Roger J. Makley Classroom (Rm. 120)
Chernesky Heyman & Kress Student Organizational Suite (Rm. 124)
William H. Wolff, Sr., and William H. Wolff, Jr., Judge’s Chambers (Rm. 132)

Courtroom Seats (Rm. 102) Available
Jury Room (Rm. 131) Available
Grand Atrium Benches Available
Grand Atrium Available
Small Classroom (Rm. 114) Available
Materials Distribution Room (Rm. 125) Available

Second Floor

Dr. J. Milton and Doris Zimmerman Law Library
Hugh E. Wall, Jr., Classroom (Rm. 201)
Anthony V. Conte Office of the Dean (Rm. 203G)
Ralph J. Hanaghan Dean’s Conference Room (Rm. 203H)
Dr. John Pugliese Student Bar Association Office (Rm. 209)
Miami Valley Trial Lawyers Association Moot Court Office (Rm. 211)
Eugene J. Casella Group Study Room (Rm. 212A)
Pickrel, Schaeffer & Ebeling Group Study Room (Rm. 212B)
Ralph J. Hanaghan Classroom (Rm. 222)
John F. Wolcott Classroom (Rm. 223)
Bieser, Greer & Landis Reading Room (Library)
Keller and Heckman Office of Career Services (Rm. 210)

Interview Room (Rm. 210C) Available
Student Resource Room (Rm. 210B) Available
Administration Suite (Rm. 203) Available
Computer Training Center (Rm. 212R) Available
Law Library Reserve Room (Rm. 212P) Available

Third Floor

Turner, Granzow & Hollenkamp Law Library Administrative Suite (Rm. 315)
The Huffy Corporation Group Study Room (Rm. 321A)
Leonard Dickess Group Study Room (Rm. 321B)
Heapy Engineering Group Study Room (Rm. 321K)

Large Group Study Room (Rm. 318) Available
Small Group Study Room (Rm. 320A) Available
Northwest Library Wing Available
Northeast Library Wing Available
Southwest Library Wing Available

Fourth Floor

Father Vincent R. Vasey, S.M. Faculty Lounge (Rm. 401)
Jack A. Shaw Computer Manager’s Office (Rm. 415)
The Danis Companies Room (Rm. 452A)

Law Review Suite (Rm. 445) Available
Law Library Mezzanine and Lounge Available
Faculty Offices Available


Walter H. Rice (Rm. 001)

Walter H. Rice graduated from Northwestern University with a B.A. in 1958. In 1962 he received two degrees: an MBA from Columbia University Graduate School of Business Administration and a J.D. from Columbia’s School of Law.

In 1969 he was elected judge of the Dayton Municipal Court. A year-and-a-half later he was appointed to the Court of Common Pleas which he was twice re-elected. His distinguished service there and his unusual gifts of scholarly achievement and judicial temperament were recognized with his appointment by President Carter in 1980 as judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.

Since 1976 Judge Rice has taught Trial Practice in almost every semester — and taught it so effectively that our graduates are noted for their ability in this area. The Walter H. Rice Moot Court Competition is a pivotal experience in the life of every student in the School of Law. Judge Rice has served as a member of the School of Law’s Advisory Council since its inception. His advice and counsel have supported every dean in the modern history of the School. Students hold him in the highest regard, not only for his teaching skills and scholarly eminence, but even more importantly for his genuine care and concern for them.

TOP^

Charles Floyd Young (Rm. 001E)

1921-1993

Born in Granville, Ohio, Charles Young attended Denison University, then spent four years as a naval pilot in World War II. He attended the University of Cincinnati Law School, and was admitted to the Bar in1949. First associated with Murr, Murr and Young, he founded the firm of Young, Pryor, Lynn and Jerardi in 1960, with whom he practiced until his death. He counseled many young lawyers, always stressing the ethics of the law, and gave solid, unassuming common sense advice to his clients. He died in 1993 leaving his wife Carolyn and children Patricia, Kathryn and John who remember him as committed to the highest integrity in his life and in the practice of law.

TOP^

Patricia H. Roll Room (Rm. 008)

The wife of John M. Roll, M.D., and mother of seven children, Mrs. Roll entered the University of Dayton School of Law at the age of forty-five. Her generous welcome by students and faculty made these the happiest and most satisfying years of her life. She was a first-year Moot Court Winner, Casenote editor of the Law Review, and graduated Magna Cum Laude.

She remained with the School of Law for fourteen more years, her duties ranging from general administration and academics as an Associate Dean, to Admissions, Law Library, and Career Services. Her greatest pleasure was teaching Legal Research and Writing. Dean Pat Roll was a caring source of wise advice and counsel to a generation of law students, faculty, and deans.

TOP^

Thompson Hine & Flory Room (Rm. 014)

Thompson Hine & Flory L.L.P., established in 1911, is committed to providing clients with personal attention and the highest quality level services necessary for effective counsel in today’s intricate business environment. Our firm’s lawyers represent a broad range of clients from individuals and closely held businesses to multinational corporations, financial institutions, governments and nonprofit organizations. The firm’s scope of work encompasses legal issues in 20 major areas of commerce both nationally and abroad. The Dayton office of Thompson Hine & Flory L.L.P., which traces it foundation to 1918, is the largest law firm in Dayton. The firm’s lawyers are privileged to provide specialized legal services and counsel to the leaders of today and future generations in the business community.

TOP^

Todd S. Richman Student Organization Suite (Rm. 015)

Todd S. Richman, March 26, 1971 – September 10, 1995

Todd S. Richman, who was a third-year Law student, died in a automobile accident on September 10, 1995. While most people were impressed with his intelligence, enthusiasm and analytical ability, it was Todd’s wonderful wit and personality that made him so much fun.

As an intern with Warren County, New Jersey, Legal Services in the summer of ’95, Todd was always able to establish a good rapport with his clients through genuine respect, concern and willingness to listen. They quickly developed the trust that he cared and would do his best to help.

We never know what the future would have held for Todd, but we know he would have made a fine lawyer.

The Todd S. Richman Student Organization Suite is a room that never closes. Students of the Law can gather at anytime to interact, plan and exchange ideas in an atmosphere of brotherhood. Todd loved to question, search for answers and find humor in life. He brought lots of laughter to our lives. His signature was his smile.

TOP^

Porter, Wright, Morris & Arthur Student Lounge (Rm. 017)

“The mode by which the inevitable comes to pass is effort” --Oliver Wendell Holmes

The successful attorney possesses education, effort and excellence.

In honor of its 150th anniversary, the law firm of Porter, Wright, Morris & Arthur is proud to provide an environment where students can pursue knowledge and strive for their dreams.

July 1997

TOP^

Albert H. Scharrer (Display)

Albert Henry Scharrer was born on Garrett Street in Dayton in 1886. His formal education began at Hickory Street School and concluded with graduation from Steele High School in 1904. Albert sold newspapers to assist his family and support himself through school. His long career as a newsboy continued throughout his life as the “Old Time Newsies” sold special edition newspapers on street corners in Dayton every Fall.

After graduating from high school, Albert entered the H.D. Wilt Business College where, among other things, he learned shorthand. In 1905 he left the business school to become a stenographer in the law offices of the Honorable Charles Kumler, one of Dayton’s most respected attorneys. Here, Albert’s proficiency and energy so impressed Kumler that he convinced young Scharrer to become a law student in his office rather than spending his life as a stenographer. Albert spent the next several years “reading law” under Kumler. At this time, neither a baccalaureate nor a law degree were prerequisites for the bar examination. Scharrer took the bar examination in 1909 and was admitted to the Ohio bar on June 23, 1909, at the age of 23.

After being admitted to the bar, Scharrer went into private practice. The first entry recorded in his ledger just three days after his bar admittance, shows his first professional services were for “notary work” done for a local bank. His fee for this work was eighty cents. The largest fee recorded in Scharrer’s 1909 ledger was thirty-five dollars for “defending Joe Jackson on an arson charge indicted by grand jury.’ While these fees are meager by today’s standards they represent the launch of a vigorous and exceptionally successful legal career.

On June 10, 1910, Albert H. Scharrer and Helen Van Allen were united in marriage. That same year he joined the law firm of Murphy, Ecliff & Emmanuel, where he practiced for two years. Scharrer returned to private practice where he remained until 1919, when he became assistant prosecuting attorney for Montgomery County.

On October 1, 1922, the University of Dayton opened a law school. Because of his already distinguished legal career Albert Scharrer was selected to serve on the first faculty of the College of Law. Scharrer, one of five instructors, taught criminal law until 1924.

In 1922 Scharrer’s career flourished into major prominence when he was elected to the position of Prosecuting Attorney for Montgomery County. While serving as Prosecutor, his daughter, Jane, was born on January 21, 1923. Scharrer distinguished himself as a tough but fair prosecutor during this time of major sociological tumult, better known as the “roaring Twenties.” He earned a national reputation by aggressively prosecuting many of the toughest high profile Prohibition cases which attracted statewide and national attention.

Once again returning to private practice in 1927, Scharrer continued to demonstrate he had a most unusual and highly effective common touch with the jury. His oratorical skills could move a jury to tears or laughter depending on his client’s needs. He was a practical lawyer and a firm believer in the common sense approach to a legal problem. Opposing lawyers could be assured they were facing a resourceful lawyer, but one who was fair and not unmindful of the problems of opposing counsel. Albert Scharrer was honored by his fellow lawyers in 1924 when he was elected President of the Dayton Bar Association.

In addition to being a dynamic and nationally respected trial lawyer, Scharrer found time to devote to a number of civic events and organizations. His efforts and enduring commitment to enriching the quality of life of others less fortunate, span many years with countless accomplishments. He was the founder of the Dayton Horse Show, which benefited disabled children. For many years he served as president and was ultimately elected Chairman Emeritus of the Dayton Horse Show.

Scharrer’s sincere concern for the care of our community’s children is confirmed by his many years of service as Chairman of the Montgomery County Child Welfare Board. His tireless efforts were instrumental in the passage of a local bond issue to build a children’s home at the Shawn Acres site. The Big Brother organization also benefited by Albert’s countless hours of service on their board and his spirited fund raising efforts. Albert also lent his considerable talents to the Montgomery County Fair Board as a member of their board for many years. Community leaders knew they could count on Albert, and many charitable organizations were the beneficiaries of Albert’s loyal generosity over his long and prosperous career. Dayton lost one it’s most distinguished and charitable citizens with the passing of Albert H. Scharrer on January 10, 1979.

TOP^

William Scott Andes Room (Rm.101)

As a three-time University of Dayton graduate, Scott finds many reasons to be thankful. Of particular importance to him now, as well as when he was a student, is the nurturing, supportive environment provided by the people of the University of Dayton. Scott’s contribution reflects his desire to give something back to the School of Law and to the University so others may benefit. In conjunction with his matching gift partner, The Proctor & Gamble Fund, he has played an important part in the construction of this new home for the School of Law.

TOP^

Mathias H. Heck Courtroom (Rm. 102)

Mathias H. Heck graduated from the University of Dayton School of Law in 1930. A number of things have changed since 1930. Tuition for full time students was $180 for each semester. Lodging added an additional $100. The University Bulletin noted that the Law Library “contains a sufficient number of federal and state reports and digests besides the standard textbooks and encyclopedias to accommodate the students.” What never changed were Mat Heck’s attributes of personal character, which attracted the trust, and confidence of people around him, and his loyal support of the University of Dayton.

Heck cultivated these attributes early in life with hard work on the family farm in Trotwood, Ohio. There the family of eight grew vegetables that Mat, while he was in law school, delivered fresh each morning before sunrise to the wholesale markets in Dayton. Mat had attended Madison Township schools, graduating from Madison High School in 1923. Following high school he entered the insurance business. In addition to delivering the family’s farm produce to Dayton markets many mornings, he sold insurance during the day to finance his education at the University of Dayton at night. Graduating as the president of his law school class, Heck entered the practice of law that same year in downtown Dayton.

In 1933 Heck was elected the Justice of the Peace of Madison Township. In 1937, he was appointed Assistant Attorney General of the State of Ohio. Heck was also one of the original incorporators of the Imperial State Bank of Vandalia.

Mat Heck’s distinguished legal career includes four terms as Prosecuting Attorney for Montgomery County from 1945 to 1961. It was 1946 when Heck successfully prosecuted Bugs Moran, the famous criminal who fought with Al Capone over Chicago gangland territory. Heck once wrote “I chose the office of Prosecuting Attorney as I like people in all walks of life, and I knew I could be of great service to the people of this county by serving them as their dedicated and impartially-minded Prosecuting Attorney.”

On March 11, 1989, alumni of the University of Dayton School of Law gathered to honor Mathias Heck as our Most Distinguished Alumnus, an award to affirm the career and life of a man dedicated to serving the law, his community and his family. Heck served on the School of Law’s Board of Visitors, on the Alumni Association’s Board of Trustees and was a member of the University of Dayton’s President’s Club. Heck was also a supporter of the program in Law and Technology at the School of Law.

Mat Heck lived a life that earned the trust of the citizens of the Miami Valley, inspired the confidence of those around him and piloted a distinguished legal career. It was for these reasons that the University of Dayton conferred its highest award, the Honorary Degree of the Doctor of Humane Letters, upon Heck on May 14, 1994.

Mat Heck was born on a farm and was actively engaged in farming on his own farm all of his life. Known as the Circle K Ranch in Brookville, Ohio, his farming operation included herds of Black Angus cattle as well as a rare breed of cattle called Scotch Highland. When his sons Mat Jr. and Tom were home, the ranch also included some horses for recreation and enjoyment. Mat and his wife of 48 years, Lucille, raised two sons. Mat Jr. is currently Montgomery County Prosecutor, following in his father’s footsteps. Dr. Thomas Heck is a physician practicing in Dayton, Ohio. Mat had four grandchildren, Tiffany, Mathew, Christopher and Andrew.

Many Brookville residents have wonderful memories of Mat Heck, his wife Lucille and his beloved Circle K Ranch. Writing for the Brookville Star, Bob Fox wrote, “I remember I used to go out to Mat Heck’s house to fix his TV set in the good old days, and before I would leave, Mr. Heck would always fill a sack with goodies out of his garden.”

The drama of the law and the preeminent role of justice in our society, qualities that Mat so clearly embodied for a lifetime, are reflected in the physical character of the Mathias H. Heck Courtroom. Mat’s ardent support for the use of technology in strengthening our justice system is also represented by the sophisticated computer, video and audio technology that is a hallmark of this model courtroom.

“Work for the Lord. The pay is not much, but the retirement is out of the world”

TOP^

John W. Berry, Sr., Classroom (Rm. 103)

In grateful recognition of Loren M. Berry for his generous support of the University of Dayton’s School of Law, 1980

TOP^

Norman George (Rm. 111)

Professor Norman George was one of the key participants in the organization of the current and modern era University of Dayton School of Law in 1974. He served as dean of the law school at certain transitional stages of its early development. His retirement from full-time teaching in 1993 culminated thirty-two years of service with the University which included faculty and administrative positions at the School of Business prior to his work with the School of Law.

Professor George is a native of Martins Ferry, Ohio, and pursued his career almost entirely in the state. His graduate degrees included the Ph.D. in business and economics as well as the Juris Doctor degree. His law school areas of interest reflected his academic and professional background in the business and economic areas of the law. His orientation placed emphasis on the practice and application facets of the profession. He believed strongly that professional skills practiced at the highest levels intertwine both the substance and the process of the law.

TOP^

Faruki Gilliam & Ireland Office of Admission and Financial Aid (Rm. 112)

Founded in 1989, Faruki Gilliam & Ireland. P.L.L. is a Dayton law firm with a national litigation practice. The firm emphasizes excellence, planning, and results in all aspects of its practice. The firm’s lawyers handle and try a wide variety of business and commercial cases, and the firm has focused on creative problem-solving and dispute resolution for businesses. Many of the firm’s clients routinely ask it to handle their most sensitive or sophisticated matters. The firm’s attorneys participate fully in professional, educational, and community affairs, and enjoy a close relationship with the School of Law.

TOP^

Gregory C. Gibson Campus Ministry Office (Rm. 113)

Gregory C. Gibson graduated from Gettysburg College in 1969. Greg received his Master of Divinity degree in 1973 from Princeton Theological Seminary. He graduated Magna Cum Laude with the first class at the University of Dayton School of Law in 1977. Greg has always been very supportive of the School of Law teaching as adjunct professor and serving on the Interfaith Prayer Service Committee. His practice centers on health care and medical malpractice. Greg is also ordained as a Presbyterian Minister.

TOP^

Barth J. Snyder Classroom (Rm 115)

This classroom is dedicated to the memory of Barth Johnson Snyder, Professor of Law 1974-1976. Professor Snyder was an institution within the University community dating back to 1943 when he graduated from its first law school. His 40 years as a professor in the School of Business Administration, his instrumental role in the reopening of the School of law, a true labor of love, and his outstanding service as a faculty member serve as an inspiration to those who seek to carry on his high principles.

TOP^

Roger J. Makley (Rm. 120)

Roger J. Makley devoted his life to public service. Roger graduated from Chaminade High School and Georgetown University. He also received Juris Doctor and master of Laws Degree from Georgetown University School of Law. Beginning in 1961 he served as a Staff Attorney with several federal government agencies in Washington, D.C. including the Securities and Exchange Commission. In 1964, he returned to Dayton, where he served as Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney and U.S. Magistrate until 1978. He has been President of the Dayton and Federal Bar Associations, the Legal Aid Society of Dayton, and the University of Dayton Board of Visitors and its successor Advisory Council, and has served as an adjunct faculty member of the School of Law. He has been an exceptionally helpful source of friendship, advice and support to the Dean and the School of Law over his years of service. An extraordinary trial lawyer, this colorful man of wit and wisdom ably served his clients and earned the respect of his peers. He had much to share and gave generously. His legacy lives on in all those touched by his gifts and kindness.

TOP^

Chernesky Heyman & Kress (Rm. 124)

As lawyers we can not always do what is popular or fashionable. The public often misunderstands our role and our profession is not always held in high esteem. But learn well that each day as a lawyer you will be called upon to counsel clients, to protect individuals, and sometimes to advocate causes that are unpopular. How you embrace this calling will determine, in no small way, whether our society remains the freest on earth.

At Chernesky Heyman & Kress P.L.L., we place great emphasis on understanding the needs of our clients and working to solve their legal problems. We look at ourselves as counselors at law and we emphasize the personal aspects of our relationships with our clients. We understand our obligations to our community and we encourage each other to make a difference. We trust that your education at the University of Dayton School of Law will inspire you and challenge you to carry on the great tradition of this institution and this noble profession.

TOP^

William H. Wolff, Sr., and William H. Wolff, Jr., Judge’s Chambers (Rm. 132)

William H. Wolff, Sr.

William H. Wolff, Sr. (1907-1994) graduated from the University of Dayton School of Law in 1931. He was a judge of the Dayton Municipal Court from 1936 until 1943. Mr. Wolff engaged in the private practice of law from 1931 until 1936, and from 1943 until his retirement in 1992. In addition to his private law practice, Mr. Wolff also served as an Assistant Montgomery County Prosecutor from 1943 until 1951, and from 1972 until 1992.

William H. Wolff, Jr.

William H. Wolff, Jr. (1942-) graduated from the Georgetown University Law Center in 1967. He engaged in the private practice of law until becoming a judge of the Dayton Municipal Court in 1976. Judge Wolff served on the Dayton Municipal Court until 1977, when he became a judge of the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas. Since 1985, Judge Wolff has served on the Court of Appeals of Ohio. He has been part of the adjunct faculty of the School of Law since 1981.

TOP^

Dr. J. Milton and Doris Zimmerman (Display, Library)

When Milt Zimmerman left Steele High School in downtown Dayton at the conclusion of his junior year, he was headed to seek his life’s dream of stardom upon the stage. Young Zimmerman achieved the pinnacle of high school dramatics success and a touch of local fame starring in six musical productions while at Steele High School. His immediate destination was Chicago where he studied showmanship under the masters. He learned from the best and even sang for “the one and only” Eddie Cantor. But like so many before and after him, the stage wasn’t the life Milt wanted for himself. Soon he was welcomed back to Steele High School to finish his high school education. Armed with many stories of the joys and heartbreaks upon the stage Milt said, “The talking pictures have ruined it all, from legitimate drama to vaudeville hoofing. It is one tough racket, and the moving pictures about it aren’t made up.”

Having lived his early dream and experiencing the bumps of the real world at such a young age, Zimmerman’s life back in Dayton took a sharp and clear focus on obtaining the best education he could possibly receive. He had a new dream. And that dream was to one day practice medicine. After finishing at Steele High School it was on to the University of Dayton. At UD Zimmerman’s unbridled pursuit of scientific knowledge and curious spirit propelled him through his undergraduate premedical studies. He graduated from the University of Dayton in 1931.

Des Moines, Iowa, was the next stop on Milt’s life adventure to study medicine at the Des Moines Still College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery. Here Zimmerman found himself exhilarated by the challenge of the unanswered questions of the human body and the emerging medical technologies of the day.

After receiving his medical degree from the Des Moines Still College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery in 1935, Zimmerman returned home to Dayton to enter private practice as a general physician. Five years later he began practicing internal medicine at the Dayton Osteopathic Hospital where he later founded the Department of Internal Medicine. Certified as a specialist in internal medicine by the American Collage of Osteopathic Internists, Dr. Zimmerman contributed numerous papers to the Osteopathic literature on Internal Medicine and endoscopy. He was in demand to present the findings of his clinical research before national associations of osteopathic physicians.

In 1954, as a licensee of the Atomic Energy Commission, Dr. Zimmerman opened one of the first private laboratories of Nuclear Medicine in the nation. As a leader in the practice of Nuclear Medicine for both clinical diagnostic and therapeutic treatment, Dr. Zimmerman launched the first major isotope laboratory in an osteopathic hospital at Grandview Hospital in April of 1959. This laboratory provided a dramatic advancement in the diagnosis of many human conditions as well as their treatment. It was here that Dr. Zimmerman and Doris Schmidt, the lab’s chief technician, forged a professional relationship that turned into a lifetime partnership of husband and wife.

Doris Zimmerman worked along with her husband often serving as instructor to new staff members and technicians in the nuclear lab. It was their combined vision that recognized a need for a formalized educational facility in the field of nuclear medicine technology.

In 1971, Dr. Zimmerman founded and became the director of the Grandview Institute of Nuclear Medicine Technology, where students could become certified nuclear medicine technicians. It was here that Dr. Zimmerman wrote in the Class of 1976-77 graduation bulletin:

To My Graduates:

Knowledge gained is an earned and treasured possession. The true value of its worth, however, will not be reflected if the possession lacks the indispensable quality of empathy. You have received very specialized training . . . not only in the utilization of your special senses of touch, sight and hearing, but guidance in the acquisition of capabilities that are integral facets of a professional technologist. Knowledge is not only in the technology of how . . . but in the important areas of why, where, and most important of all, self evaluation of your final result. Integrated with empathy, the end result . . . excellence. May the bond between us now be never ending.

J. Milton Zimmerman, D.O.

TOP^

Hugh E. Wall, Jr., Classroom (Rm. 201)

B.A. University of Dayton – 1934; L.L.B. University of Notre Dame - 1936

Hugh E. Wall, Jr., a Dayton native, began his legal career as a tax associate with Albus & Greaney, Washington, D.C. He returned to Dayton in 1940 and in 1941 joined the law firm now known as Coolidge, Wall, Womsley & Lombard Co LPA where he was a Senior Partner from 1965 until his retirement in 1977. As Dayton’s first tax specialist and as a lawyer’s lawyer, Mr. Wall’s advice was sought by many a lawyer and judge. His colleagues learned early that this quiet man of few words was worth listening to. Hugh Wall distinguished himself in his dedication to family, church, clients, his profession, the University of Dayton and this community.

TOP^

Anthony V. Conte Office of the Dean (Rm. 203G)

Anthony V. "Tony" Conte was born in Hamilton, Massachusetts on November 11, 1918, the day World War I ended. Tony Conte served in the U.S. Navy on the Destroyer, the U.S.S. Cony, in the Pacific theatre during World War II, participating in several major sea battles including the Battle of Leyte Gulf in the Philippines. Tony Conte was a well-regarded athlete during his school years and later. During World War II, he played baseball for U.S. Navy teams that included a number of professional ballplayers; later he was a well-known amateur golfer in Eastern Massachusetts.

Tony and his wife, the former Eleanor Conlin, raised four children, Anthony, Joyce and Cheryl, and Francis, and had seven grandchildren. His son, Francis, served as Dean of the School from 1987 until 2000. Tony Conte was a loving and extraordinarily attentive father and grandfather, always going out of his way to meet the needs of family members and friends. He was also a wonderful storyteller who left many crying with laughter at the humor in his stories, often about his own experiences, real and imagined. He was loved by his family and many good friends, from all walks of life, for his gentle, friendly, and generous nature.

This memorial is intended to help inspire others to reflect in their work and lives the qualities that Tony Conte lived--the importance of being gentle, friendly, and generous to all of those who are part of our lives.

TOP^

Ralph J. Hanaghan Dean’s Conference Room (Rm. 203H)

Ralph Hanaghan was born to very modest circumstances and lived within the shadow of the University of Dayton campus. He was the son of immigrants and was the first member of his family to attend college. If it had not been for the generosity of the University and its law school during the Depression, the direction of his life, no doubt, would have been substantially different.

Ralph Hanaghan practiced law in Dayton for 50 years. He is recognized as a skilled litigator and for his wise counsel to many families and businesses. He never forgot his ties to the University of Dayton School of Law.

TOP^

Dr. John Pugliese Student Bar Association Office (Rm. 209)

In Loving Memory of John Pugliese, M.D.

Donated by
Nina Pugliese
Joan Pugliese Imperato
Hon. Barbara Pugliese Gorman, Class of '77
Ted Imperato, Class of '96

TOP^

Miami Valley Trial Lawyers Association Moot Court Office (Rm. 211)

Founded in 1986, the Miami valley Trial Lawyers Association consists of over 100 members from Montgomery, Greene, Miami, Clark, Warren, Butler, and Preble Counties who represent Personal Injury Plaintiffs, Criminal Defendants, Domestic Relations clients, and other individuals in the pursuit of justice. Through the able leadership of its Presidents David Deutsch, Ronald Schultz, Patrick Allen, James Ambrose, Michael Hall, and James Dennis, as well as the involvement of its members, the MVTLA has been active in continuing education and serving the bench and bar of this region to enhance litigation skills, both in and out of the courtroom. It is with gratitude to the local legal community that the MVTLA donated funds for the building of this new law school at the University of Dayton and takes great pride that the Moot Court office carries its name.

TOP^

Eugene J. Casella Room (Rm. 212A)

Gene Casella was born in Dayton, Ohio, attended St. Joseph Grade School, Kiser High School and graduated from the University of Dayton in January 1963 with a BS in Business Administration. In June 1966, Gene Married Annette Dix, UD class of 1964. They have three daughters. He has served on the Board of the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor Foundation, the Development Council for St. Leonard Center, the School Board at Alter High School and co-chaired the Holy Angels Parish Restoration Campaign. Gene Casella has been an important source of advice and an extraordinarily supportive member of the University of Dayton School of Law Advisory Council and the University of Dayton Board of Trustees Finance Committee.

He has spent most of his business career in the investment business as a stock broker, vice president of a brokerage firm and since 1972, as Vice President of the investment advisory firm, Mead, Adam and Company. His loves are his family, his friends, the University of Dayton and golf!

TOP^

Pickrel, Schaeffer & Ebeling Room (Rm. 212B)

Pickrel, Schaeffer & Ebeling is a law firm, founded in 1915, which provides a broad range of quality legal services to individuals, businesses, insurance companies, school districts and municipalities in the Greater Dayton area. The firm is made up of competent, committed professionals, dedicated to serving its clients through the delivery of quality, efficient legal services at a reasonable cost. A number of the firm’s attorneys are alumni of the University of Dayton School of Law, and the firm actively supports the mission of the School of Law in the Dayton community and the legal profession.

TOP^

Ralph J. Hanaghan Classroom (Rm. 222)

Ralph Hanaghan was born to very modest circumstances and lived within the shadow of the University of Dayton campus. He was the son of immigrants and was the first member of his family to attend college. If it had not been for the generosity of the University and its law school during the Depression, the direction of his life, no doubt, would have been substantially different.

Ralph Hanaghan practiced law in Dayton for 50 years. He is recognized as a skilled litigator and for his wise counsel to many families and businesses. He never forgot his ties to the University of Dayton School of Law.

TOP^

John F. Wolcott Classroom (Rm. 223)

John F. Wolcott, a widower, was a long time Dayton resident. he had no direct heirs and thus he decided to leave his estate to several different organizations involved in medical research. In addition, although having no direct connection to the University of Dayton, he included the University of Dayton School of Law as a beneficiary, because of his strong belief in education.

TOP^

Bieser, Greer & Landis Reading Room

Vallandigham & McMahon (1854-1861)
Houk & McMahon (1861-1881)
McMahon (1881-1892)
McMahon & McMahon (1892-1913)
McMahon, Corwin & Landis (1913-1923)
McMahon, Corwin, Landis & Markham (1923-1941)
Landis, Ferguson, Bieser & Greer (1941-1961)
Bieser, Greer & Landis (1961-present)

To the lawyers of tomorrow . . .
You are here to become a trustee of civilization’s most noble profession – the law. Learn now the lessons of the past for they will provide you with the diligence and wisdom to solve problems now unthinkable. Commit yourself to excellence and integrity in all that you do. Let truth and compassion always be your guide. This room is a gift to you from the men and women of Biser, Greer & Landis, a Dayton law firm that grew from the ashes of the American Civil War, helped rebuild and perpetually protect this community after its disastrous flood in 1913, and that now proudly encourages you to embark upon a lifetime of continuous learning and community service.

TOP^

Keller and Heckman Office of Career Services (Rm. 210)

Keller and Heckman was founded in 1962 by Joseph E. Keller (University of Dayton School of Law, 1929) and by Jerome H. Heckman. It is a multifaceted Washington, D.C., firm specializing in federal and state administrative law. Communications, food and drug, antitrust, and environmental law are among its most prominent areas of expertise. The firm also practices in related areas, such as intellectual property, litigation, and labor and corporate law. Keller and Heckman uses a unique combination of lawyers and scientists to help clients open markets and keep them open by complying with necessary regulations and opposing regulation that is unduly restrictive.

TOP^

Turner, Granzow & Hollenkamp Suite (Rm. 315)

Turner, Granzow & Hollenkamp is one of Dayton’s oldest law firms, having been founded in 1910 by brothers Earl and Wellmore “Baldy” Turner. The firm engages in the general practice of law, with heavy concentration in corporate, banking and business law. Upon the death of Baldy Turner in 1980, the firm established The Wellmore “Baldy” Turner Memorial Scholarship Fund, which grew to become the second largest scholarship fund at the School of Law. Turner, Granzow & Hollenkamp also made a significant contribution to the campaign for Keller Hall. The library administrative suite and conference room have been named in honor of the contributions of Turner, Granzow & Hollenkamp to the University of Dayton School of Law and the legal profession in general.

TOP^

The Huffy Corporation Room (Rm. 321A)

Achievement is not a static process, nor is it easily obtained. This room is dedicated to honor the achievements of Huffy Corporation and its employees and to provide the opportunity for students of the law to pursue their education in an environment which fosters and encourages ethical behavior, integrity, and academic and professional achievement. Huffy Corporation, a publicly traded company incorporated in Dayton in 1928, is a leading supplier of brand name consumer products and retail services designed to improve consumer lifestyles and to enhance the business performance of its retail customer.

The Huffy Foundation: Robert R. Wieland, Vice President – General Counsel and Secretary, 1976-1993; Nancy A. Michaud, Vice President – General Counsel and Secretary, 1993-; UDSL 1980

TOP^

Leonard Dickess (Rm. 321B)

Leonard Dickess has actively supported the University of Dayton School of Law, as part of his commitment to raising the quality of higher education in Dayton. He has been a thoughtful member of the University of Dayton School of Law’s Advisory Council, bringing to the council and the school the breadth and richness of his perspectives as a businessman and entrepreneur. Mr. Dickess is an entrepreneur, community leader, husband, father and grandfather. A self-taught businessman, Mr. Dickess founded the Amity Mold Company in 1967 and later, Kare Plastics Company. He is a member of the American Mold Builders Association, National Tooling and Machining Association, Dayton Tooling and Machining Association, Society of Plastics Engineers and received Dayton’s Small Businessman of the year award in 1977.

TOP^

Heapy Engineering Group Study Room (Rm. 321K)

The firm strives to provide quality engineering services that enhance the human experience. Heapy Engineering has been dedicated to quality engineering since its founding by Marvin O. Heapy in 1945. The firm is based in Dayton and provides Plumbing, Fire Supression, Heating, Air Conditioning and Electrical engineering services in the design of institutional, commercial and government buildings. The firm has organized its approach to providing quality engineering through team effort.

TOP^

Father Vincent R. Vasey, S.M., Faculty Lounge (Rm. 401)

1916-1985
Professor of Law, University of Dayton School of Law, 1977-1985

Father Vincent R. Vasey, was appointed Professor of Law in January 1977. For the remainder of his life, he was a major force in shaping the character and quality of the School of Law's academic program and faculty. Father Vasey, whose own intellectual and scholarly achievements were beyond question, was a model for younger faculty members and a colleague to all. His was a mature voice of quiet reason in the often-heated discussions of faculty matters and academic policies that inevitably follow the founding of a new law school. He freely extended his counsel and assistance to those who sought it - deans, colleagues and students alike. He was admired and respected for his wisdom, his achievements, and his experience, but was astute and humble enough not to seek advantage from them.

Perhaps Father Vasey's most enduring contribution to the School of Law was to infuse it with willingness, even eagerness, to explore the moral, philosophical, and religious traditions underlying American law, In a time and discipline in which positivism predominates, he constantly reminded his colleagues and students of the legal system's debt to those traditions in his erudite lectures, his casual asides, and above all his subtle humor.

After a brief illness, Father Vasey passed from this life on May 18, 1985. With gratitude for his life, friendship and contributions to the School of Law, his colleagues named the Faculty Library in Albert Emanuel Hall, the original law building, in his honor. With renewed gratitude for his great contributions to and continuing influence upon the University of Dayton School of Law, this faculty Lounge is dedicated to his memory.

TOP^

The Jack A. Shaw Computer Manager's Office (Rm. 415)

Jack A. Shaw has been an active supporter of higher education, including excellence in legal education at the University of Dayton School of Law. Jack was born in 1939 in Auburn, Indiana. He graduated from Purdue University with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering in 1962. Mr. Shaw is nationally recognized for his leadership in the development of electronic network systems for businesses and his contributions to world communications.

Jack Shaw received the distinguished Engineering alumnus award from Purdue University in 1994 and an Honorary Doctor of Science Degree from Capitol College. Jack is Chairman and Chief Executive office of Hughes Network Systems, Inc. and Senior Vice President of Hughes Electronics Corporation. His son, Mark is a 1966 graduate of the University of Dayton School of Law. Jack and his wife, Sue, live in Potomac, Maryland.

TOP^

The Danis Companies (Rm. 452A)

Danis is a family-owned corporation originating here in Dayton, Ohio in 1916 when Benjamin G. Danis, Sr. formed the Danis-Hunt Company. In 1947, the founder's sons, Charles W. Danis, Sr. and Benjamin G. Danis, Jr., joined the firm and it was incorporated as B.G. Danis Co., Inc. In 1990, The Danis Companies became the parent company with three operating groups: construction, real estate and environmental. Third generation family members have participated in the leadership of the company since 1972. For many years, The Danis Companies have been ranked among Engineering News Record's Top 400 general contractors in the U.S.

Danis is proud to have participated as general contractor for the University of Dayton School of Law.

TOP^