2013 Externship Fair
The School of Law’s 2013 Externship Fair will be held Thursday, Feb. 7, from 12:30 to 2 p.m., in Keller Hall.
Lawyers and judges who would like to host a law student for an unpaid externship in the 2013–2014 academic year — including the summer 2013, fall 2013 and spring 2014 semesters — may attend the fair to recruit and interview eligible students.
Because all externship students are required to secure their own externship placements, our annual Externship Fair is a primary means for employers to meet with students to explore possible externship relationships. Participants are encouraged to share with the students brochures or other literature about their operations to assist students in accepting placement offers that best meet their goals and interests.
For more information, contact the Externship Program Office at 937-229-4676 or by email. The deadline to register for the fair was Feb. 1.
Interested in Working with One of Our Student Externs?
A field supervisor must:
- Be an employee of the sponsoring organization or someone who provides legal services on behalf of the sponsoring organization
- Be a licensed attorney in good standing with a minimum of three years’ legal experience or a judge or justice currently serving on the bench
A field supervisor should expect to mentor and train their extern by doing the following:
- Provide meaningful and education experiences to the extern including providing opportunities for the extern:
- to observe legal proceedings when available
- to observe client contacts when available
- to observe other lawyering activities when available
- to shadow the Field Supervisor
- to perform legal research and legal writing
- to utilize their legal analysis skills
- Monitor the quality and quantity of work assigned to the extern and keep clerical tasks to a minimum
A field supervisor will be required to do the following:
- Verify the extern’s work hours by initialing their timesheet on a weekly basis
- Provide interim progress reports to the extern’s faculty supervisor as requested
- Complete a written evaluation of the extern’s performance at the completion of the externship
- Allow the extern’s faculty supervisor to schedule a mutually convenient site visit as necessary