Ohio Case Law
How to Find a Case
If you already have a citation for your case, go to the next section on "Where to Find A Case". If you have a case name (parties names), there are multiple sources available.
- Ohio Jurisprudence 3d KFO65 .O5: There are Table of Cases volumes at the end of the set. These volumes do not contain all Ohio cases, just the ones included within Ohio Jurisprudence.
- West's Ohio Digest KFO57 .W4: A Table of Cases is located at the end of the set. There is also a Defendant/Plaintiff volume.
- Ohio Appellate Decisions Indexes (Microform Room): You can look up unreported appellate decisions by party, subject, or district. Available for the years 1981-1992. Full texts of decisions are located on microfiche. Superseded by the publisher's CD-ROM product.
- Ohio CD-ROM products: West Publishing, Anderson Publishing and the Ohio State Bar Association offer competing products. The library subscribes to the West and OSBA products. They both utilize Premise search software, which is similar to WESTLAW.
- LEXIS and WESTLAW: Full text of all cases from the Ohio Supreme Court, Ohio Appellate Court and Ohio Miscellaneous reporters plus unreported appellate coverage beginning in the 1970s. You will not find a lot of the cases that are reported in the myriad of other Ohio casebooks that are listed in the next section.
- LEXIS / NEXIS Universe: Mirrors the LEXIS database for Ohio case law coverage. A subscription service which can be accessed from networked terminals within the University of Dayton or from home via OhioLINK.
Where to Find a Case
You will find an Ohio case in a book, within an online database, on the Internet or on microfiche. The following list contains pointers to all Ohio cases that are available.
- LEXIS-NEXIS / WESTLAW
Subscription-based, full text, fully searchable databases.
- LEXIS-NEXIS UNIVERSE
- Ohio Case Law and Court Rules Online
- Ohio Unreported Appellate Decisions
(Microform Cabinet # 27)
The following list is a roadmap into the area of Ohio case reporters. Some of the materials date back to the early 1800s. A lot of the cases are located within more than one reporter, so refer to West's Ohio Digest Table of Cases or Shepards Ohio Citations KFO59 .S5 (Room 212 North or in the Citator area of the Library) for parallel cites if a volume is missing from the shelf. The Ohio Blue and White Book KFO60 .O42 (Room 212 North) also offers parallel cites from Ohio cases to the Northeastern Reporter KF135 .N61. The reports listed will be:
- 1st Series Vols. 1-177
- 2nd Series Vols. 1-70
(Also located within Ohio Official Reports (Orange Band) KFO47 .A2)
- 3rd Series Vols. 61 -
(Vols. 1-60 are located within Ohio Official Reports (Gray Books) KFO47 .A2; Vols. 1-31 are also located within Ohio Bar Reports KFO47 .A33 O35)
- 1st Series Vols. 1-120
- 2nd Series Vols. 1-70: (Also located within Ohio Official Reports (Orange Band) KFO47 .A2)
- 3rd Series Vols. 61 -: (Vols. 1-60 are located within Ohio Official Reports (Gray Books) KFO47 .A2; Vols. 1-31 are also located within Ohio Bar Reports KFO47 .A33 O35)
- 1st Series Vols. 1-70: Also located within Ohio Official Reports (Orange Band) KFO47 .A2
- 2nd Series Vols. 61-63: (Vols. 1-60 are located within Ohio Official Reports (Gray Books) KFO47 .A2; Vols. 1-31 are also located within Ohio Bar Reports KFO47 .A33 O35; Vols. 64 - are located within Ohio Appellate Reports 3d KFO48 .A2 starting at volume 93
- Cincinnati Superior Court Reports KFO52 .C54
- Cleveland Law Reporter KFO47 .A4 C6
- Dayton Reports KFO52 .M6 G6
- Disney's Reports KFO52 .C54
- Northeastern Reporter KF135 .N61
- Ohio Bar Reports KFO47 .A33 O35
- Ohio Cases (Vols. 1-494 of NE2d) KFO55 .N6
- Ohio Court of Appeals Reports (OCA)
- Continuation of Ohio Circuit Court Reports: New Series Vol. 27- KFO48 .A4 O36
- Ohio Circuit Court Reports KFO48 .A4 O35: New Series Vols. 1-26 KFO48 .A4 O36
- Ohio Circuit Decisions KFO48 .A4 O37
- Ohio Decisions KFO51 .A4 O35
- Ohio Decisions Reprint (Vols. 1-11) KFO47 .A4 O35: Cites to volumes 12 and 13 of this series. They can be found in Disney's Reports and Handy's Reports. The library does not hold the Handy's volume. Be sure to check Shepard's Ohio Citations for parallel cites.
- Ohio Federal Decisions KFO47 .A4 U5
- Ohio Nisi Prius KFO51 .A53
- New Series KFO51 .A55
- Ohio Law Abstract KFO47.1 .O5
- Ohio Law Reporter KFO47 .A15
- Ohio Official Reports KFO47 .A2
- Ohio Opinions, 2d and 3d KFO47 .A32
- Ohio Reports KFO45 .A2
Century Annotated Ed. KFO45 .A4 O3
Extra Annotated KFO45 .A4 O4
- Ohio Supplement: Northeastern Reporter 2d and the Ohio Cases version
- Ohio Trial Reporter KFO47.1 O6
- Ohio Unreported Judicial Decisions Prior to 1823 KFO47 .P6
- Weekly Law Bulletin KFO47 .A12