The following collections of faculty papers document teaching and research at the University of Dayton and highlight the involvement of UD faculty members on campus, in the Dayton community, and within their professions. Finding aids to these collections are available below; also, please visit the Faculty Papers Resource Guide for more collection information and related resources.
In addition to these and other small collections of faculty papers, the University Archives collects published works by all UD faculty. Faculty members interested in donating their papers are encouraged to contact the University Archives.
Richard P. Benedum papers, 1972-2006
Papers of University of Dayton music professor Dr. Richard P. Benedum, including teaching materials, grant project files, correspondence, news clippings, and writings, most notably his program notes for the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra (1976-2006). Over his career, Dr. Benedum has received more than 250 grants for performances, workshops and symposia, and research, totaling nearly $3 million.Top
George C. Biersack papers, 1955-1980
Papers of George C. Biersack (1923-1980), professor of communication arts at the University of Dayton from 1952-1980. His papers include subject files, correspondence, and memorabilia. Prof. Biersack was the founding chairman of the Communication Arts Department and helped the University to acquire a campus radio station, WVUD-FM, in 1962.Top
Raymond M. Herbenick papers, 1965-1998
Papers of University of Dayton philosophy professor Dr. Raymond M. Herbenick (1942-1999), including unpublished papers, published articles and books, and research notes. Dr. Herbenick was chairman of the Department of Philosophy from 1973-1981 and helped to establish the UD CORE Program and General Education program.Top
Kenneth C. Schraut papers, 1929-1993
Papers of Dr. Kenneth C. Schraut (1913-1997), professor of mathematics at the University of Dayton from 1940-1993. The materials include subject files, correspondence, memorabilia, scrapbooks, and books. Dr. Schraut's pioneering work with sponsored research beginning in 1949 led to the establishment of the University of Dayton Research Institute in 1956.Top
Eileen L. Sears papers, 1912-1993
Music and Physical Education
Papers of music and physical education instructor Eileen L. Sears, who also served as director of the student union in the 1950s. This small collection includes photographs, correspondence, performance programs, clippings, and research materials. The H. Troy and Eileen L. Sears Recital Hall in the Jesse Philips Humanities Center is named for Mrs. Sears and her husband.Top
Bro. William O. Wehrle, S.M., papers, 1933-1973
Materials owned by University of Dayton English professor Bro. William O. Wehrle (1896-1959), including two of his publications and 32 magnetic audiotape reels of recorded lectures and dramatic readings. Bro. Wehrle was head of the English Department from 1933-1956 and also helped to start the University Choir.Top