What to Expect
Write Place offers FREE peer-to-peer writing support to students on any writing assignment and at any stage of the writing process. Consultants are students like you! They are competent and passionate about writing. They are helpful, ethical and respectful of you as a writer.
What to Bring: Bring your assignment sheet and a hard copy of your paper.
You can visit the Write Place as soon as you receive your assignment for help brainstorming ideas. You can visit us after you have completed your first draft. You can come by for feedback on your final draft. Feel free to stop by the Write Place as often as you like.
- Most sessions last approximately 30-50 minutes.
- You will be greeted by a consultant and will quickly sign-in, providing your name and assignment information.
- You can then share your concerns about your paper with the consultant.
- The consultant will invite you to read your paper aloud and will periodically interrupt you to discuss both strengths and weaknesses in the writing.
- The consultant will NOT write on your paper. Please be prepared to take notes on your essay as you work with the consultant.
This is a writing consultation, essentially a conversation about your writing. So, be prepared to talk! Sharing ideas and working together with the consultant will ensure the best possible paper.
Please keep in mind our mission; we do not proofread or edit papers. Since we are not instructors, we cannot predict or “promise” a grade. It is always best to directly discuss the assessment of your writing with your course instructor.
At the end of your session, the consultant will review the main actions you can take to further improve your paper. You are welcome to come back to the Write Place for another consultation session.