Former Marian Library Director Dies

08.17.2005 | Catholic, ResearchThe Rev. Philip Hoelle, S.M., a former director of the University of Dayton's Marian Library and founder of the Dakota Center, died Saturday, Aug. 13. He was 93.

Hoelle will be buried at Queen of Heaven cemetery Saturday, Aug. 20, following a 9 a.m. viewing and 10 a.m. funeral Mass at the Mount St. John Queen of Apostles Chapel, 4435 E. Patterson Road in Dayton. A reception at the Bergamo Center on the Mount St. John campus will follow the burial.

Hoelle helped create the Dakota Center in 1965. The center, on Dayton's west side, offers programs to teach life skills, and provides mentoring and an environment of support and care to those less fortunate.

A UD graduate, Hoelle was the first recipient of the Dakota Center's Founder's Award for 30 years of service to minority youth.

"He knew how to get people involved in ministries that would benefit the poor and marginal," said the Rev. Bertrand Buby, S.M., a UD associate religious studies professor. "He was a creative agent of many good movements within the Society of Mary."

At the University of Dayton, Hoelle was a theological studies professor from 1953 to 1964 and director of the Marian Library from 1954 to 1967. The Marian Library is recognized as the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of printed materials on the Virgin Mary.

He was a charter member of the Dayton Christian-Jewish Dialogue and helped plan the first international workshop on Christian-Jewish relations held at the Bergamo Center in 1973. In 1986, the National Conference of Christians and Jews honored him as the Dayton Catholic Honoree of the Year for his lifelong devotion to a ministry of reconciliation.

Hoelle was born on April 2, 1912, in Hamilton, Ohio, to Jacob and Mary (Hogan) Hoelle. He professed his first vows on Aug. 15, 1930, and his perpetual vows on August 13, 1934.

For more information, contact Shawn Robinson at (937) 229-3391.