Institutional Review Board (IRB)
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) is a standing committee at the University of Dayton established in compliance with federal policy for the protection of human subjects in research. The University of Dayton operates under Federalwide Assurance No. FWA00015321.
IRB Mission & Guiding Principles
The IRB ensures that the rights and welfare of research subjects are protected as described in Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research (“The Belmont Report”). The IRB is governed by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) federal guidelines for protection of human subjects in research found in 45 CFR 46 and referred to as the “Common Rule.” The purpose of the IRB is to ensure that:
- No research activity sponsored or conducted by University of Dayton researchers unduly endangers the safety, comfort, or privacy of human subjects;
- The rights and privacy of subjects are protected during and after the research;
- Participation in research is voluntary and the right to withdraw at any time is provided;
- The researcher and the University are protected from ethical and/or legal liability;
- Research involving human subject(s) is supervised by qualified persons, including qualified clinicians for all study-related healthcare decisions, and by at least one faculty or staff member in the case of student-led research.
- Non-exempt research projects are subject to annual IRB review.
All research that involves human subjects must be reviewed by and must receive approval from the IRB prior to data collection and subject recruitment.
The IRB cannot review research that has already been performed or is being performed.
The University of Dayton IRB Roster (September, 2011):
Member Name - Department
Mary S. Connolly Ph.D. (chair) - Office for Research
Keri Brown Kirschman Ph.D. - Psychology
Susan Davies Ed.D. - Counselor Education & Human Services
Greg C Elvers Ph.D. - Psychology
Mary I. Fisher M.S. - Doctor of Physical Therapy Program
Anthony E. Foley M.D. - Student Health Center
Kurt J. Jackson D.P.T., Ph.D. - Doctor of Physical Therapy Program
David E. Kancler M.S. - Research Institute, Human Factors Group
Grant R. McMillan Ph.D. - Innovative Science Solutions, Inc. (Community Member)
Charles J. Russo J.D., Ed.D. - Educational Leadership
Mathew E. Willenbrink J.D. - Office for Research, Technology Partnerships
All APPLICATIONS should be directed to: IRB@notes.udayton.edu
All QUESTIONS should be directed to:
Mary Connolly, Ph.D., IRB Chair, at IRB@notes.udayton.edu; Phone: (937) 229-3493.
IRB Administrator: Ms. Leona Long, (937) 229-2919, Leona.Long@udri.udayton.edu