When to Refer
Aside from the signs or symptoms that may suggest the need for counseling, there are other guidelines which may help determine when to refer a student to the Counseling Center.
1. A student presents a problem or requests information which is outside your range of knowledge.
2. You feel that personality differences which cannot be resolved between you and the student will interfere with your helping the student.
3. The problem is personal, and you know the student on other than a professional basis (friend, neighbor, relative, etc.).
4. A student is reluctant to discuss a problem with you for some reason.
5. You do not believe your contact with the student has been effective.