Software - Getting What You Need
UDit provides access to software that helps you accomplish academic and work related tasks. Always make sure the software you need is compatible with the operating system you are using. Application compatibility issues always exist with newly released operating systems. As of 10/30/13 iPrint and Logger Pro are two know products that do not work on Windows 8.1. Logger Pro and the Network Access Control (NAC) client do not work on OS 10.9.
Required & Recommended Applications
source - software.udayton.edu
source - vendor Websites
|Mac||Microsoft Office 2011
HP Print Drivers OS X
Windows Media Components for QuickTime
(Flip4Mac & Silverlight)
|Windows||Microsoft Office 2010
Apple iTunes & Quicktime
Note: Incoming Freshman, transfer students and new graduate students gain access to software.udayton.edu as rosters are uploaded based on enrollment in classes. This occurs on a rolling basis beginning approximately 30 days prior to the start of the semester. New employees gain access when your user account is ready generally within three business days of your start date.Top
All computers connecting to the UD Network should have an antivirus/antimalware product installed with current definitions updated on a regular basis.
- Student Owned Machines - use a product of your choice. Effective July 1, 2013 the University no longer provides an antivirus product for students. If you are using Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 (SEP 11) you have until January 1, 2014 to replace it with a product of your choice.
- Faculty/Staff Personally Owned Machines - use a product of your choice. SEP 12 is not available for personally owned machines.
- UD Owned machines - Symantec Enpoint Protection 12 (SEP 12) is the University supported product. IT staff will replace SEP 11 during the 2013-14 year with SEP 12 on existing machines.
Choosing an Antivirus product - you may select a free or paid product from a known provider. Product reviews may help in making your selection.
Access to specialized software is based on your role with the University. Software licensing is for Windows only unless otherwise noted.
|Employees and Enrolled Students||IBM SPSS
SAS (visit the Help Desk in person for the most current supported version - only option for Win 8 users)
Vernier Logger Pro (Mac and Windows)
|Enrolled Students and Faculty||Microsoft Products - Expression Web, Visual Basic, Visual Studio & more
Note: Use Virtual Clone Drive to mount the iso and install it without needing to burn a DVD - http://static.slysoft.com/SetupVirtualCloneDrive.exe
|Engineering (based on course enrollment)||Autodesk Products - AutoCAD, Civil3D, Inventor
Microsoft Products - Project, Visio
Ni Circuit Design
|Geology (based on course enrollment)||ArcGIS||provided in class|
|Visual Arts||Adobe Creative Suite (Mac)||provided in class|
Note: Students - Additional software required for courses may come with the purchase of a textbook or other distribution means. Should you require assistance installing software from a source other than software.udayton.edu please provide any instructions or information you have about the software when contacting us for help.Top
Supported Operating Systems
Supported Operating Systems
As of Oct 30, 2013 UDit supports OS versions:
- Mac OS 10.7.5
- Mac OS 10.8.5
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows 8
See Testing in Progress section for known issues with supported OS versions.
Note: Home and Starter versions of Windows operating system not recommended as full support cannot be guaranteed with University systems and software.
Testing in Progress
- Mac OS 10.9 - released October 22, 2013
- Windows 8.1 - released October 17, 2013
Mac OS 10.9 Issues:
- Logger Pro - requires free update from vendor to version 188.8.131.52 not yet released as of 10/30/13
- Network Printing - may require manual installation of printer if fails to install from iprint web page
- Novell VPN via go.udayton.edu does not install on OS 10.9. Product support ended with OS 10.8. This mostly affects faculty and staff.
Windows 8 & 8.1 Issues:
- Logger Pro - requires free update to version 184.108.40.206 not yet released as of 10/30/13
- Novell VPN via go.udayton.edu does not install on WIndows 8 or 8.1. Product support ended with Windows 7. This mostly affects faculty and staff.
- SAS - must visit UDit Help Desk to obtain installer
- SEP 12.1 - will not install on Windows 8.1 (product only for UD owned machines fac/staff machines)