Frequently Asked Questions

We have answers to your questions.

Can I minor and/or double major in another field?

Yes, students can minor or double major. In fact, a double major is recommended with the BA. Students can double major or minor with the BFA but will need to work closely with an advisor in scheduling classes. The Minor in Arts Administration is a very popular minor for art and design students.

Can/should I do an internship?

All students are welcome to do an internship and it is strongly recommended that students do an internship. All areas routinely aid students in organizing and fulfilling internships. Advisors work with students to arrange internships based on student interest and employer availability. Internship credit requires a junior or senior standing.

How might this experience affect my educational experience and/or career objectives?

A student’s educational experience will be well rounded and offer opportunities that are not found elsewhere. This breadth of experience will enrich educational experience and better prepare the student to enter a variety of careers.

I can figure out the rest of the Visual Arts classes listed, but what is VAR 100: Visual Arts Foundation about?

This is a one hour class that is a requirement for all Art and Design majors. It introduces majors to the department, the College of Arts and Sciences, and the University of Dayton. It is geared exclusively to our majors and as such carries information that can only be had through attending this class. Non-Art and Design majors take a comparable course called 'Introduction to the University Experience' (ASI 150).

Is there a portfolio application/entrance requirement?

No. However, all majors in the department go through a major review upon completion of the foundation courses. This review is the Foundations Review (VAR 299). In this review all majors are evaluated by a committee of three faculty members from the department. The review is 30 minutes and results in a written evaluation of student progress toward their degree. Students must successfully complete the review as a graduation requirement. All Art and Design scholarship recipients are evaluated every year.

What is the difference between a BA program and a BFA program?

The Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree (B.F.A.) is an intensive "professional" program of study specifically tailored to prepare students to enter the field of their chosen major (Art Education, Fine Art, Photography, or Graphic Design) or to continue their studies in graduate school. Approximately sixty-five percent of the degree requirements are in the creation and study of the visual arts particular to the chosen major.

The BA (Bachelor of Arts in Visual Arts) is for the student who has an interest in visual arts but wishes to explore that interest in the context of broader liberal arts education than is traditionally afforded by a BFA. The BA is an experience that is broad in nature and encompasses the different visual arts disciplines offered by the department. The BA allows and encourages cross-discipline studies as reflected in the senior capstone research project experience. The BA is a non-area specific degree program. It is recommended that BA students double major.

 The BA (Bachelor of Arts) in art history is a traditional liberal arts study of the field of art history.

What is the difference between an experience within an art school vs. a department that resides within a college of arts and sciences?

The Department of Art and Design is housed in the College of Arts and Sciences. As such, we are on par with other departments in the college (Biology, Political Science, etc.). A student’s curriculum will share common courses with such departments, as Religion, Philosophy, English, etc., although requirements will be specific to a student’s degree program.

What is the typical class size enrollment for a foundation/studio class?

Most of our foundation and studio classes have an enrollment of 15 to 18 students.

How are semester hours earned?

One semester hour is assigned to a lecture/discussion course that meets fifty minutes each week over the period of the 16-week semester. Typically, a lecture/discussion course provides three semester hours and meets one hundred fifty minutes each week over the 16-week semester.

In our studio courses, one semester hour is assigned to a course that meets one hundred minutes each week over the period of the 16-week semester. Typically, studio courses provide three semester hours and meet for three hundred minutes each week over the 16-week semester.

What kind of computer and software will I need?

The department requires the purchase a MacBook Pro for all studio majors and the MacBook for art history majors. Graphic Design and Photography majors will need the latest version of the Adobe Creative Cloud. This can be purchased as needed for classes - usually in the first semester of the second year - through the computer store.

What kinds of job prospects are there for someone with a degree in Art Education, Art History, Fine Arts, Photography, Graphic Design?

Art Education students are prepared for graduate school or for entry into public or private P-12 school systems as teachers. In Art History, students are prepared for graduate school, work in museums, galleries, or art related fields, such as publishing. In Fine Arts, students are prepared to enter graduate school or practice as a professional artist. In Photography students are prepared to enter graduate school or an aspect of commercial photography, which may include editorial or studio work. In Graphic Design students are prepared for professional careers in a variety of areas including, but not limited to, graphic design firms, advertising agencies, and new media and related technology companies.

What scholarships are available?

The department offers an Art and Design Scholarship that is separate from any University scholarship a student may receive. This is only available for incoming first year full-time students. The monetary amounts vary from $1,000 to $10,000 distributed over four years.

What will I need in terms of other equipment and supplies in my first year and what will be the cost?

There is an incoming Foundation Kit. This kit has the required supplies for the foundation courses - these courses are Foundation Drawing and Drawing II, 2-D Design, 3-D Design, Design and Color. There is an additional Foundation Photography Kit for the first photography class. This kit includes paper, chemistry, film, and assorted photo items and is purchased through a local vendor. The cost of the Foundation Kit is approximately $490 and the Foundation Photo Kit is approximately $170.

What will my class schedule look like for my first year?

All students participate in art and design foundation courses. These courses introduce students to the fundamental principles, practices, materials, and vocabulary common to all visual arts disciplines. These courses provide a common background of skill development along with an understanding of primary concepts in the visual arts and a basis for critical evaluation. All foundation courses share the objective of preparing students to face the challenges of their specific disciplines. 

In the first two years students will have Visual Arts Foundation, Foundation Drawing, Drawing II, 2-D Design, 3-D Design, Design and Color, Foundation Photography, and an Art History. This order is dependant on course scheduling, offerings, and area degree requirements.

Find Us.

Department of Art and Design

Fitz Hall 250 
300 College Park 
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 2923