French Onion Soup02.17.2014 | Fun Friday
My mom sends me daily emails containing quirky articles, images, and news. This past Sunday the email contained a recipe for French Onion Soup. This recipe was from a restaurant that she used to dine at when it was still around. Since closing, the family has released the secret formula that attracted much attention. My housemates and I did make the soup and I will say it was quite tasty!
H.A. Winston's Onion Soup:
4 medium size sweet onions
1/4 teaspoon of Gravy Master
2 packs Lipton's Onion Soup Mix
3 slices of crusty Italian bread, 1/2-inch thick, toasted
Provolone cheese and Swiss cheese
1. Peel and slice onions with the grain in about 1/4 inch width the full length of the onion.
2. Put the onions in approximately 1 1/2 quarts boiling water.
3. Add Gravy Master.
4. Boil at medium heat for about 45 minutes, until the onions are somewhat translucent.
5. Add Lipton's Onion Soup Mix (do not cover the pot). Let simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Ladle a portion of soup, heavy with the onions, into serving crock.
7. Cover crock with 1 slice of toasted Italian bread, 2 slices of provolone cheese and 1 slice of Swiss cheese.
8. Put under broiler (about 6 to 9 inches from heat).
9. When cheese turns dark and it starts to melt, wait a minute and take from broiler.
10. It's ready to enjoy.