Faculty FAQ

If you would like more information or have a question that is not listed below, please email us at udci@udayton.edu.

Where is the University of Dayton China Institute?

The China Institute is located in the Higher Education District of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), an ultramodern economic and technological venture between China and Singapore. SIP is located just 75 miles from Shanghai and has been called China’s ‘Silicon Valley’.

What are the requirements to teach at the China Institute? What should I do to apply?

If you are interested in instructing a course at the China Institute, please contact us at udci@udayton.edu.  In addition, interested University of Dayton faculty should contact the appropriate Associate Dean of the relevant academic unit. All qualified non-University of Dayton faculty must hold an advanced degree from a Western Institution.  Faculty should hold a degree within their desired teaching area, and those with qualifications in more than one discipline are encouraged to apply. All faculty participants require approval from the China Institute Academic Committee.

When do academic programs run at the China Institute?

Our semester abroad programs are typically 14 weeks. Fall programming generally runs from August to November.  The spring term typically runs from January to April. Summer programs are six weeks long and take place during the first summer session of the University of Dayton academic calendar, typically May to late June.  For more information please click here.

What types of students participate in China Institute Programs?

Our academic programs are open to University of Dayton and non-University of Dayton students, both American and international.  Any applicant must be a university-level student. 

What kinds of opportunities are available for teaching at the China Institute?

Faculty members have the opportunity to participate in a 6 or 12 week teaching assignment. Furthermore, faculty members will have unique research opportunities through partnerships with Chinese institutions and faculty members, corporate partners and the China Institute’s American Culture Center.  Additional professional development opportunities at the China Institute are also available.

What courses are offered and how many courses may I teach?

Although our programs are offered to students from any major, courses are offered through the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business Administration and the School of Engineering.  The bulk of our courses are offered in areas such as the arts, business, engineering, humanities, natural sciences and social sciences (courses subject to change depending on the program).  Students enrolled in a semester program must be a full-time student and take between 12 and 18 credit hours.  Students enrolled in summer programs typically take 9-11 credit hours.   Typically, faculty will teach 1-3 courses depending on the program, field of expertise and course listing.

Will I need to know Chinese?

No! All courses at the China Institute are taught in English.  All students must demonstrate English proficiency. More specifically, University of Dayton students whose first language is not English must have completed the Intensive English Program (IEP).  All students must meet the University of Dayton’s English language requirements. For the university’s English proficiency standards, click here.

I am a faculty member at another institution. Am I able to plan my own courses and build my own curriculum?

Although educational abroad programs are somewhat different than traditional courses taught on main campuses, they are academic experiences that should meet the highest standards of academic excellence.  All courses taught at the China Institute must have the same academic rigor and adhere to the established course objectives and learning outcomes of the same courses taught at the University of Dayton main campus.  As in most university settings, faculty retain a certain degree of freedom and flexibility with course delivery and assignments. 

I’m a non-University of Dayton professor interested in teaching at the China Institute. Who should I contact for more information?

If you’re a qualified non-University of Dayton instructor, please contact us at udci@udayton.edu for more information and upcoming teaching opportunities at the China Institute. We would be happy to discuss this incredible opportunity with you!

How will I be compensated?

For UD faculty members, each full-time faculty participant will receive their normal salary and University of Dayton benefits during semester programs when teaching their typical course load. For summer programs, faculty will be compensated with 1/12 of their annual salary per course they teach. It is the faculty member’s responsibility to seek approval from the appropriate supervisor to teach at the China Institute. All faculty hiring and payroll paperwork will be initiated by the University of Dayton’s Enrollment Management & Marketing division in coordination with the Provost’s Office and will be routed to the appropriate supervisor for final signatures. Non-University of Dayton faculty members will be compensated at a rate to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

What resources will be available to me while I teach in China?

Faculty members will have numerous amenities while teaching in China. Amenities include, but are not limited to, disability and assistive support, wireless internet, unlimited printing and photocopying, state-of-the-art offices, seminar space, and laboratories and access to the Dushu Lake Library database.

In addition, The China Institute has a dedicated Student Life staff on-site to assist students with their needs while abroad in China. Additionally, the China Institute hires Resident Assistants (RAs) as a resource for students at the student apartments, on tours and excursions and at all other times outside the classroom. Furthermore, students currently enrolled at the University of Dayton will have remote access to counseling services and tutoring for certain courses.

Are there resources to help me prepare for teaching in China?

Yes. All faculty members must attend pre-departure and information sessions. These sessions will assist faculty in preparing for their trip by discussing packing, banking, communication and cell phones, safety procedures, schedules, textbooks and personal property. China Institute staff members are available to ensure you are properly prepared for your time in China.

Are there resources available for students with disabilities?

The University of Dayton is committed to including individuals with disabilities as full participants in its programs, services and activities.  Students with disabilities are encouraged to communicate their study abroad plans to UD’s Office of Learning Resources (OLR) as early as possible so a reasonable accommodation plan can be made.

What is the China Institute facility like?

The China Institute is a five floor state-of-the-art facility featuring an Innovation Center, classrooms, American Culture Center (ACC), reading room, offices, conference spaces and research laboratories. Furthermore, the China Institute has several full-time staff members to assist students. The China Institute is closed and locked when classes are not taking place. There is also a front-desk receptionist to greet visitors and monitor for unauthorized access. To view our photo galleries please click here.

What are the requirements for students applying to a China Institute program?

All students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale and be in good standing with their university, both behaviorally and academically. All University of Dayton applicants need to successfully pass a university behavioral check before being admitted to any China Institute program.  All non-University of Dayton students will submit an adviser verification form indicating their good status with the university, as well as an official college transcript.

How do accommodations and meals work?

Each faculty participant receives a one-bedroom, furnished apartment at the International R&D Apartments. This facility is a separate apartment complex from the student residences. The R&D apartments include amenities such as secure enter and key card access, central heating/air conditioning, Wi-Fi, television, washing machine and 24-hour hot water service. Faculty apartments are easily accessible to the China Institute (10-minute walk or access to the free China Institute shuttle), local transportation, night life, grocery stores, restaurants, shops, gym, library and much more. Additionally, each faculty participant receives a per diem equal to $150/week to cover meals. Faculty must follow the per diem policy and requirements, which will be discussed in one of the mandatory pre-departure faculty meetings.  To view our photo galleries please click here.

Is there Wi-Fi available?

Yes, students and faculty will have access to a secure Wi-Fi server both at the China Institute and in the residences.

What are the housing accommodations for students? Is the area safe?

Students live in four-bedroom, suite style apartments called Wencui Apartments.  Each student will have a private bedroom, private bathroom and enclosed patio space.  Students will share a living/dining room and a small kitchenette.  Other amenities include central heating/air conditioning, television, washing machine and dryer and 24-hour hot water service.  The student apartments are located just a short distance from the China Institute facility. Many students take this opportunity to walk in groups to campus.  We also provide a daily shuttle service for students which runs between the student apartments and the China Institute.  To view our photo galleries please click here.

Student and faculty residences and the China Institute are located in safe and secure locations.  The current crime rate is less than 0.004% (based on population of 77,000 students, faculty and staff residing in the Higher Education District). Student residences are also equipped with key card entry.  Each student will also have their own individual room key and rooms come equipped with safes for valuables such as money and passports.

Will I need a passport and visa to participate in this program?

Yes, all faculty members must have a valid passport to participate. Any faculty member who is not a Chinese national must also obtain a visa. A visa is an official document, typically pasted in your passport, giving permission to enter a country and is granted by the government of the country you wish to enter. Faculty should apply for a new passport prior to departure if the current passport will expire while staying in China. Passports must be valid for at least six months with one blank visa page. China Institute staff members will coordinate the visa process for you.

Who handles airfare, Chinese visa costs and transportation expenses?

China Institute staff members coordinate all travel details and visa processing.  Round-trip airfare and visa costs are complimentary, and, since we handle the travel details and visa processing, you are able to focus on teaching and preparing for your trip.  Ground transportation costs to the residential facility and any transportation costs used for tours/excursions is also covered by the China Institute. Any travel separate from that arranged for the group is only granted in rare circumstances. Faculty should contact Jia Jia Wei, Director of China Initiatives, if special travel arrangements are required. Please email udci@udayton.edu for more information.

What kind of tours and excursions are available? Are they mandatory?

All faculty and students have the opportunity to participate in pre-arranged tours and excursions around China.  Excursions are typically scheduled for weekends, but certain site visits or smaller day trips may be scheduled on a week day.  Students will have the opportunity to visit incredible places in China such as Shanghai, Nanjing, Beijing, Yellow Mountain, the Great Wall and many more. Because we want students to get the most out of their education abroad experience, we do not encourage students to miss class, site and corporate visits or excursions unless there is an unexpected emergency or sickness.  Each student will sign a code of conduct at the start of the program which states that these program components are mandatory.  Since excursions, tours and site visits are part of the China Institute experience, faculty members are highly encouraged to participate. These events offer students and faculty members unique learning opportunities, but faculty are not required to attend.  To view our photo galleries please click here.

The China Institute has multiple partnerships with Chinese institutions and corporations. What kind of corporate visits do students go on? May I use these visits to enhance student learning objectives and outcomes?

The University of Dayton has countless corporate partners, including Fuyao Group, Inc., Emerson Climate Technologies, GE Aviation, Higer Bus Company and many more. Students and faculty will have the opportunity-and are encouraged- to interact with professionals from Fortune 500 companies.  Faculty are highly encouraged to incorporate corporate visits, excursions and tours into their course delivery, discussion and assignments.  Past faculty have utilized these events to help students contextualize and expand upon what is being learned in the classroom in the form of case studies, group projects, essay writing competitions and blog posts.  For more information please click here.

I would like to bring my spouse or partner and/or children with me to China. Is that possible?

While the educational experience of our students is the main priority, faculty are allowed to bring a spouse, partner and/or children to China for all or part of the program. Specific provisions will be outlined in the Faculty Agreement provided during pre-departure planning sessions.  If you would like to view this document, please email udci@udayton.edu. Please note that adult children and minor children will subscribe to different regulations.  For example, adult supervision will be required for all minor children (under the age of 18).  In addition, minors cannot reside in University provided housing without full-time supervision of an adult. 

Could an academic program be cancelled?

The University of Dayton reserves the right to discontinue a program at any time before or after departure at its sole discretion.  Among reasons for cancellation are travel warnings and advisories from the U.S. Department of State and/or insufficient enrollment.

How do I communicate in China?

There are several ways students and faculty can communicate with friends and family while in China. Phone Cards, Skype, Personal Cell Phones, Chinese SIM cards, Viber and WeChat (among others) are your best options for communicating with friends and family.  More information about this and other pre-departure items will be shared with you after committing to the program.

How can I learn more about travelling to China?

You may always ask us, but there are multiple travel guides and other resources available to help prepare yourself with information about China.  We encourage reading up to help prepare – this will enhance your knowledge and experience, minimize a sense of cultural strangeness, and improve the ability to interact with locals. One of the best ways to make the most of your experience in China is to know something about it and be able to express yourself—even if only with a few words—in the language(s) spoken there.  Reading online newspapers, literature, magazines, books, and websites should be helpful.  Rosetta Stone may be used to help learn the language.  Buy a bilingual dictionary for use abroad. For more information, visit the following websites:

Department of State - Students Abroad
Department of State - Advice for Smooth Travel
Lonely Planet Guides
Rough Guides
Fodor's Guides
Frommer's Guides