Teacher Education frequently asked questions

Answers to some of our most commonly asked questions are below. If you have other questions related to the Department of Teacher Education, please contact us.

What are the undergraduate admission criteria for the department and its licensure programs?

Applicants must have a minimum 960 SAT score or 20 ACT score. Incoming first-year students with a high school GPA of at least 3.0 and who are in the top third of their class are preferred. To remain in a licensure program, students must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5.  

What licensure programs are available at the undergraduate level in the Department of Teacher Education?

A complete list of undergraduate licensure, certificate and endorsement information is available here >>

What happens if I want to teach outside of Ohio after I finish the program?

Most states have reciprocity with Ohio, which means that a license obtained in Ohio is valid in other states. Some states require additional tests or courses in order to teach there. Consult the Office of the Dean in Fitz Hall, Suite 618 or the Ohio Department of Education for information about a specific state.   

What is the projected job market for teachers?

The need for new teachers is growing because of upcoming teacher retirements and additional K-12 curriculum requirements. Right now, the market is especially strong in special education, math, science, and foreign language, but effective teachers are needed at all levels and in all disciplines. All first-year students begin the career placement process with an online resume, which when completed, is available to future employers. In conjunction with Career Services, the Educational Field Office invites school districts from across the country to conduct on-campus interviews with students in their senior year.  

What kind of advising is available for undergraduate students in the department?

All students have a faculty advisor. The advisor assists students in designing a four-year plan, and the advisor is also available for other questions that may arise about the field of education. The University of Dayton also has a Peer Advising Program that pairs each incoming first-year student with an upper-class student. Through this structured program, new students get to know a fellow student who has been through similar experiences, whether classes, scheduling, or college living issues. 

When do undergraduate students begin to visit schools of PK-12 students? 

Students are immersed in field experiences from the very beginning of their program. In one of the first classes (EDT 110), students in their second semester spend 20 field hours observing in a classroom relevant to their area of interest. These field experiences continue until the capstone student teaching experience during the student's senior year.

Related Links