Inspire the Next Generation
2017 Summer Schedule
- June 19-23: ASM Materials Camp
- June 26-July 27: University labs, tours and curriculum development
- $5500 stipend: Middle and high school teachers
- $2400 stipend: Pre-service teachers
- Click here to download our flier for more information.
Middle and high school STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) teachers, we invite you to join faculty, researchers and students this summer at the University of Dayton (UD), Central Sate University (CSU) and Wright State University (WSU) for a six-week National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored Research Experience for Teacher (RET) program: Inspiring the Next Generation of a Highly-Skilled Workforce in Advanced Manufacturing and Materials.
In our program, you will participate in hands-on STEM learning and real-world engineering research centered around materials and advanced manufacturing engineering and will gain knowledge and skills to better engage your students. Research mentors at one of three regional universities (UD, CSU, WSU) will facilitate and enhance your RET experience through industry and lab tours as well as guide you through a materials “bootcamp."
Guided by a curriculum coach, you will engage in STEM curriculum development to connect skills exemplified with age-appropriate academic content standards for incorporation in your classroom during the following school year.
After participation in RET, you will continue your professional development through ongoing engagement with faculty and researchers at all three institutions.
- Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m., six weeks (starting mid to late June through late July)
- 45-60 minute lunch breaks (on your own)
- Travel between three universities as well as other program sites (tours, MCESC, etc.)
- Post-program evaluation
- Transfer applied engineering research activities to classrooms.
- Develop and disseminate new curriculum.
- Attain new knowledge of engineering disciplines and careers in advanced manufacturing and materials.
- Develop an appreciation for the value of diverse team-based learning.
- Benefit professionally through development activities integrated in RET.