Reporting Vehicle Accidents

To report an accident involving University of Dayton insured vehicles which includes UD-owned or donated vehicles, utility vehicles and golf carts and rentals:

Related Links


Following an accident with a University-insured vehicle:

- Immediately, notify the local law enforcement agency (police) for that location.  If the accident occurs on campus, notify UD Public Safety at 937-229-2121.    

  • It is important that a police report is taken at the time of the accident.
  • If possible, take photos or sketches of the accident at the scene, including all damaged property (see below).


- Prior to leaving the scene of the accident, obtain the following information (if possible):

  • Make, model, year, color and license plate number of all vehicles involved.
  • Name, address, and phone number of all parties involved, including other vehicle drivers and passengers and especially the name and phone number of their insurance carrier.
  • Obtain witness contact information and statements.
  • Description of the accident.
  • If any parties were injured, name of hospitals they were taken to.
  • UD vehicle number from sticker in the right lower corner of the windshield.
  • if the vehicle was towed, provide location contact info.


Sharon Gavlick

Fitz Hall 125