Types of Aid

Most types of financial aid awards fall within one of two categories: gift aid or self-help aid.

Gift aid refers to those awards that do not have to be repaid. Awards of this nature are generally called scholarships or grants. For graduate students this can also includes assistantships and fellowships.

Self-help refers to those awards that require something in return from the student in order to receive the funds. Awards of this nature include student loans and student employment. Loans will require repayment and student employment will require the student to secure a part-time position on campus to receive their paycheck.

University Scholarships, Grants and Assistantships

A limited number of University-sponsored scholarships, grants and assistantships may be available from individual academic departments or programs of study. We recommend you peruse the links below, or contact your program directly for more information.

Related Links

Federal and State Scholarships and Grants

In addition to institutional opportunities, federal and state agencies may be a resource for additional scholarship and grants. Use the links below to assist you in your search for additional aid opportunities.

Related Links

External Scholarships

When searching for additional resources to fund your education, don't forget to explore the world of external scholarships. There are millions of dollars given annually to students from scholarship foundations, private business, professional clubs and organizations.

As part of your search, you may want to use one of the many free scholarship search services on the Internet. These agencies scan their database of awards and notify you to apply for those which match up against your personal profile.

Beware of those searches that charge you a fee; it may be a scam!

Related Links

Federal Direct Student Loan

For this program, we will review the results of your FAFSA to determine the amount of direct loan you can borrow based on your grade level and enrollment status.

For more information, download the direct loan handout (.pdf).

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

For students who have exhausted their direct loan eligibility for the year, or have reached the aggregate borrowing limit for that program, there may be opportunity to borrow additional federal funds via the Graduate PLUS Loan program. We will notify you of your eligibility for this loan on your annual award notification.

For more information about this loan program and learn how to apply, download the Graduate PLUS Loan handout (.pdf).

Alternative student loans

Occasionally, students prefer to use a private lender for their educational financing. Alternative educational loans are, in general, low-interest, unsecured loans. The University of Dayton encourages you to first file the FAFSA so we may determine your eligibility for federal student loans prior to your applying for a private loan. Federal loan terms and conditions may be more favorable than a private educational loan. 

Eligibility for most private loans is based on the creditworthiness of the borrower, and so we recommend students apply with a creditworthy cosigner in order to receive the most favorable loan terms. As with any loan, be sure to review all information carefully and contact the lender directly with any questions related to specific terms and conditions.

To assist you in the search for additional financial resources, we provide you with a historical list of lenders our students have used over the last three academic years. This information is updated on an annual basis. Please be aware that the processing timeline - from application to disbursement - can take up to four weeks, so plan accordingly to avoid any university charged interest.

During the application process, the lender will send you three separate disclosure statements, as well as a 'self-certification form'. The information you need to complete this form can be found on your award notification letter or via the 'Award Overview' tab of your financial aid information on Porches. Please review the information provided by the lender carefully and contact the lender directly with any questions related to a loan program's specific terms and conditions and how they apply to you.

Please contact a financial aid counselor if you would like help determining the amount needed to cover your expenses.

Historical Lender List

Lender Application Disclosure Statement
Addison Avenue FCU No longer offering student loans
Alliant CU N/A
Anheuser-Busch ECU N/A
Baxter CU N/A
CEFCU Application Disclosure
Cincinnati Ohio Police FCU Application Disclosure
Citizens Bank Application Disclosure
Clearview FCU N/A
CODE CU Application Disclosure
College Avenue Application Disclosure
Commerce Bank Application Disclosure
Day Air CU N/A
Digital N/A
Directions CU N/A
Discover Application Disclosure
Eli Lilly FCU N/A
Erie FCU N/A
FedEx N/A
Fifth Third No longer offering student loans
First Capital FCU N/A
iHelp N/A
KHESLC - Kentucky High Ed Student Loan Corp Application Disclosure
Kinecta Application Disclosure
Landmark CU N/A
LendKey N/A
Liberty Bank No longer offering student loans
Michigan First CU Application Disclosure
Midstate ED N/A
Motorola CU N/A
Novation N/A
Ohio Catholic FCU N/A
PNC Bank Application Disclosure
Sallie Mae Application Disclosure
SLMA Lake Michigan CU N/A
Star No longer offering student loans
Suntrust Application Disclosure
Three Rivers CU N/A
Thrivent Fixed Rate Loan Disclosure
Variable Rate Loan Disclosure
TLC Community CU N/A
Union Federal Student Loan Application Disclosure
Vacation CU N/A
Wells Fargo Application Disclosure
West CCU Application Disclosure
Wright Patt CU Application Disclosure
N/A = Private lender does not provide Application and Solicitation Disclosure information
This is a historical list of lenders used by students and other borrowers at University of Dayton within the last three academic years. The university does not endorse any lender, nor do any of the lenders compensate University of Dayton to be on this list.

Student Employment

Graduate students are eligible to apply for student employee positions as long as they are enrolled at least half-time (minimum 3 hours per term). Once you are enrolled you can explore available positions and apply for those that interest you. Policies regarding student employment are available in the student employee handbook (.pdf).

Other Related Links