Federal Verification

Federal verification is a process which requires institutions to verify the accuracy of information provided on a student's FAFSA in an effort to assure federal aid is distributed to those who are eligible. Approximately 30% of FAFSA applications are selected by the federal processor for verification each year.

Schools may be required to verify any or all of the following criteria:

  • Household size (number of people in your household)
  • Number enrolled in college (number of household members attending a post-secondary educational institution at least half time)
  • Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or income earned from work if income is below minimum required for income tax filing
  • U.S. Income Tax Paid for the base year
  • Certain Untaxed Income and Benefits for the base year, such as education credits; untaxed IRA distributions; untaxed pensions; IRA deductions; and interest on tax free bonds
  • Other Untaxed Income, such as: payments to tax-deferred pension and savings; child support received housing; food and other living allowances paid to members of the military, clergy and others; veterans noneducation benefits; other untaxed income; and money received or paid on the applicant’s behalf
  • Child Support Paid for the base year 
  • Receipt of Food Stamps/SNAP benefits for base and prior year 
  • High school completion status
  • Identity/Statement of educational purpose

Documentation Requirements

University of Dayton students selected for verification will be notified via email to log in to Porches to determine which documents are needed. All requested documentation should be submitted within 30 days of request. Failure to do so may result in the reduction and/or cancellation of any need-based federal, state, or university aid. 

The verification worksheet is used to verify tax filing status of the student and parents (if dependent), self-reported household size and household number in college. Select the form for the academic year for which you have been selected. 

To satisfy our request for IRS documentation*, please read all of the options below, then select one:

  • IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) - This option is recommended by the University of Dayton and should be the option you try first. It provides you with the fastest, easiest and most secure way to verify your tax data.
  • IRS Tax Return Transcript To request an IRS tax return transcript, call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 or request on-line at Get-TranscriptUse this option when one of the following scenarios exist:
    • ›  the tax filer was deemed ineligible to use the IRS DRT, or
    • ›  the tax filer originally transferred the IRS data to the FAFSA using DRT but then updated the IRS data manually, or
    • ›  the tax filer filed an amended tax return. In this case, the filer must also submit a signed copy of IRS Form 1040X to us.
  • Signed Copy of Actual Tax Return Form - Acceptable only if submitted under the following conditions:
    • ›  the filer has filed a Commonwealth of Puerto Rico return, or
    • ›  the filer has filed a foreign tax return.
*Individuals Who Filed Non-IRS Income Tax Returns
  • A tax filer who filed an income tax return with Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands may provide a signed copy of his or her income tax return that was filed with the relevant tax authority. However, if we question the accuracy of the information on the signed copy of the income tax return, the tax filer must provide us with a copy of the tax account information issued by the relevant tax authority before verification can be completed. 
  • A tax filer who filed an income tax return with the tax authority for American Samoa must provide a copy of his or her tax account information.
  • A tax filer who filed an income tax return with tax authorities not mentioned above, i.e. a foreign tax authority, and who indicates that he or she is unable to obtain the tax account information free of charge, must provide documentation that the tax authority charges a fee to obtain that information, along with a signed copy of his or her income tax return that was filed with the relevant tax authority. 

Beginning with the 2017-2018 academic year, non-tax filers will need to provide us with a copy of documentation from the IRS (or other relevant tax authority) dated on or after October 1, 2016 that indicates a 2015 IRS income tax return was not filed with the IRS (or other relevant tax authority). For IRS documentation, you can request the 'Verification of Non-filing Letter' at Get-Transcript. This provides proof that the IRS has no record of a filed Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ for the year you requested. If you filed a Puerto Rican or Foreign Income Tax Return, you must submit appropriate non-filing documentation from a relevant tax authority.

Still have questions? Check out these videos!