Honors Students Welcome
The Honors Students Welcome introduces incoming Honors students to the University Honors Program (UHP), giving you the opportunity to meet other students already part of the UHP.
A Chance to Connect
This free, day-long program is one of the earliest benefits available to you as a member of the UHP. Along with the opportunity to move onto campus a day early, you will have a chance to meet other Honors students and learn how the UHP can maximize your college experiences. There is time for both parents and students to ask questions about the University Honors Program and UD in general. Upper class Honors students are leaders during the day and available for questions throughout the event and into the semester.
2016 Registration begins June 1.
Registration by July 15 is required.
While parents' participation ends after the UHP Welcome lunch, they are encouraged to remain in the area to participate in Saturday's "New Student Orientation" for all incoming students. Click here for a list of Dayton-area activities or places to visit during the times when your student is unavailable.
Below is a general timeline of the event. More detailed information will be mailed in late July or early August.
Friday, August 19, 2016
8:00 - 11:15 am
Residential Student: Move-in / ID Card Pick-up
10:45 - 11:15 am
Commuter Student: Check-in / ID Card Pick-up
11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Family Welcome Lunch
12:30 - 1:00 pm
Parents' Information Session
12:30 to 4:30 pm
Meet the Leaders / Student Welcome Activities
Raffle and closing
Optional Cookout for Honors students /students are free for the evening
Registration is Required
Incoming students who are admitted as Honors students and who choose to become a member of the University Honors Program will be eligible to register for the Honors Students Welcome through your Porches portal.
Please register by July 15 to attend this event.
All incoming Honors students who register by June 15 will be entered into a raffle to win exciting prizes awarded at the conclusion of the Honors Students Welcome.
Leadership Opportunity for Honors Students
Existing Honors students may volunteer to lead during the Honors Students Welcome. There are opportunities to coordinate activities, small groups and venues, so watch for email and Porches alerts about information sessions held in the spring semester for details about what your role could be and how to apply.
1) Who are the people in different colored shirts?
- The people in different colored shirts are the student leaders and coordinators of Honors Students Welcome. Feel free to ask them any questions you may have throughout the program!
2) If my roommate is NOT an Honors Student, can he or she also move in early?
- He or she must move in following the instructions given to them by Housing and Residence life.
3) Where do I go if I lose my ID?
- Room 102 in the Powerhouse is the home of Card Services. They can replace your ID for $20; make sure to bring an alternate form of ID (i.e. driver's license).
4) Where do I go if I don’t remember my group number?
- During lunch, there will be a table at the front of the RecPlex (located on Evanston Ave.) where you can find your group number, pick up a new nametag or find someone in a blue shirt.
5) When do I get to say goodbye to my parents for the day?
- You will be able to say goodbye to your parents after lunch in the RecPlex. Your parents are welcome to stay on/around campus and meet up with you after the Honors Students Welcome. However, Friday afternoon’s activities are for students only. There are parent activities during New Student Orientation (starting Saturday).