Changing Majors/Levels


Changing majors. Changing from Chemical Engineering to Finance, for example.

Changing levels. Completing one degree program and moving on to another at the University of Dayton. Finishing a B.S. in Biology then pursuing a M.S. in Chemistry is an example of a level change.

SEVIS. SEVIS is a web-accessible database that collects, tracks, and monitors information regarding exchange visitors, international students and scholars who enter the U.S. on F, M or J visas. SEVIS is managed by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Documents to be submitted

Change of Major/Level Form. This form can be used for a change of major or a change of level.

Financial documentation. If changing levels, new funding documentation must be submitted. If changing majors, no new funding information is required.


Note: The Change of Major/Level Form updates your SEVIS record only. This process is separate from other administrative and academic processes you need to follow. To apply for a new degree-seeking program, please visit the International Admission Office. To change your major, talk to your advisor.

For a change of major, submit the Change of Major/Level form to ISSS immediately before or after the change. ISSS will verify the change before updating the I-20.

For a change of level, submit the Change of Major/Level form and financial documentation in their final semester of their current program. The student will be treated as a new student for immigration purposes. Subsequently, s/he must attend immigration check-in at the beginning of the term in which s/he will start.

You will be notified by email when this process is complete.

Frequently Asked Questions

When changing majors, will I be given additional time to finish the new program?

Yes, but not immediately. When changing your major, the updated I-20 ISSS issues you will not include an extended program end date. Instead, when your I-20 approaches its original program end date, you should submit a request for an extension.

What should I do with my old I-20 after I receive the new I-20 with the updated major/level information?

Students should keep all I-20s issued to them. Take these with you when you travel outside of the U.S.