TAGS: Advising International Students

F-1 Visa Regulations

This overview is provided by International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) as an immigration guide for students and advisors. Please keep in mind that this is merely a summary. For more information and depth on immigration regulations, visit the ISSS website: http://www.udayton.edu/international/isss/

Academic Regulations for Students with F-1 Visa
  • Attend International Student Orientation & Immigration Check-in
    In their first semester of study, international students are required to attend Bridges: International Student Orientation (ISO) and complete immigration check-in. Dates for these two separate events are publicized on our website. Failing to do so could jeopardize a student’s immigration status.
  • Maintain a Full Course of Study
    Students are required to pursue a full course of study during normal enrollment periods (Fall and Spring semesters). Full time at the UD is defined as follows:
    • Undergraduates: 12 credit hours
    • Graduates: 6 credits (exceptions: 9 credits for Communications COM/CAI, English ENG, Psychology CLP, EXP, PSY majors; 12 credits for Law J.D.).

      Students are allowed to deviate from this full course of study only under very limited circumstances andonly with prior authorization from an ISSS advisor. To request a reduced course load, students must fill out and submit the “Reduced Course Load Form” located in the ISSS Office.

      Note: Please see regulations pertaining to online and distance education courses below.
  • Online and Distance Education Courses
    Students may not use more than the equivalent of one class or three credits per term to be counted toward the full course of study requirement if the class is taken online or through distance education courses. If a student needs only one course to finish his or her program of study, it cannot be taken through online/distance education. The student may take the course but must supplement it with a traditional course that requires physical presence.

    Note: Students sponsored by their governments may face additional restrictions that are more limiting or prohibit online classes all together.
  • Regulations for Changing Academic Program or Degree Level
    Students must update their immigration documents after changing their academic program from one degree level to another (e.g., from Bachelor’s to Master’s level) or one major/field of study to another (e.g., from Chemical Engineering to Physics). Students must do this within 15 days of the change. To do this, students should submit the “Change of Academic Program/Level Form”, available in ISSS.
  • Employment Regulations
    Students may work no more than 20 hours per week on-campus while school is in session. These 20 hours include the work students do for assistantships. Students are only permitted to work off-campus through Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT) in a job related to their field of study. Students must obtain approval from ISSS before engaging in OPT or CPT. More information on OPT and CPT is available on our website.
  • Concurrent Enrollment Regulations
    Concurrent enrollment is coursework taken concurrently at UD and another institution. In the fall and spring, international students must obtain permission from ISSS prior to engaging in concurrent enrollment. Permission from ISSS is not required for concurrent enrollment in the summer.
  • Regulations for Transferring to Another School
    Students are authorized only to study at the UD. If students decide to begin a program of study at another school in the U.S., they must notify ISSS of their intent to transfer. Students merely wishing to take courses concurrently at UD and another school must first obtain prior approval. 
Please be aware that students sponsored by their governments are often subject to additional rules on full course of study, online/distance education, and time to complete their program.

Reporting Regulations for Students with F-1 Visas

  • Report Address Changes to ISSS
    Students are required to report any address changes to the University within 10 days. This includes address changes of any of students’ dependents as well. Students can do this by completing a “Change of Address Form”, available in our office.
  • Report Departure Date and Reason to ISSS
    Sometimes, and for a variety of reasons, students and scholars leave the University early or unexpectedly. Some of these reasons include early graduation, leave of absence, suspension, expulsion, or family emergencies. Students are required to inform ISSS if they plan to leave the University before finishing their studies. This should be done at least one month in advance of leaving and/or dropping classes.
  • Provide Documentation of Dependents
    Students must notify ISSS of any accompanying dependents and provide biographical information (e.g., full name, address, country of birth, etc.) and immigration information (e.g., passport information, visa information, etc.) regarding those dependents. 

Other Regulatory Guidelines for F-1 Visas

  • Apply for an Extension of Program
    Students must apply to extend their program if they are unable to complete by the expiration date listed on their immigration documents. Requests for extensions should be submitted one month prior to the expiration date to allow time for processing. To request a program extension, students must fill out and submit the “Extension of Stay Form”, available in ISSS.
  • Adhere to Grace Period
    After the expiration date on their immigration paperwork, students have a grace period of 60 days to do one of the following: 1) apply and be admitted to a new program here or elsewhere or 2) depart the US.
  • Receiving Authorization to Travel
    Students must have an ISSS staff member’s signature on their immigration paperwork in order to travel and return to the US to resume their studies. Students should request this signature at least two weeks prior to traveling.