Tuesday July 15, 2014
McGreal to Step Down as Law Dean
Paul McGreal, dean of the School of Law, has decided to step down at the end of his four-year term on June 30, 2015, and return to the faculty.
Paul McGreal, dean of the University of Dayton's School of Law, has decided to step down at the end of his four-year term on June 30, 2015, and return to the faculty.
The University will conduct a national search for a new dean.
"Paul McGreal's leadership has strengthened UD's School of Law significantly, even in the face of the most challenging environment for legal education in the U.S. that we have seen in the past generation,” said Paul Benson, interim provost. "Dean McGreal has made numerous innovations in student recruitment, curriculum and job placement that set the school on a firm foundation for the future."
McGreal will lead the School of Law through its regular accreditation review with the American Bar Association this academic year. Working in concert with the school’s faculty and staff, the School of Law has experienced a number of accomplishments in the past three years:
• The first-time bar passage rate for the Ohio bar exam rose to 86 percent for the February 2014 exam, which ranks in the top third of Ohio law schools.
• The job placement rate for the Class of 2013 ranked second among Ohio law schools and 54th among the 202 ABA-accredited law schools.
• In its 2013 edition, U.S. News and World Report ranked the school's legal writing program 21st in the nation. The School of Law's most recent U.S. News and World Report reputation ranking among judges and lawyers improved 40 places.
• The School of Law met its enrollment goal for the 2013 entering class, exceeded enrollment and student quality goals for the 2014 summer class, and is on target to meet or exceed its enrollment goals for the 2014 fall class.
• Curricular innovations include creation of an intellectual property and entrepreneurship clinic and the establishment of learning communities within the school to foster greater student success.
"I have benefited from the support of the University, good colleagues and my peers on the provost and president's councils. I have had the privilege of working in the service of remarkable students and alumni whose commitment to our community never fails to humble me," McGreal told the school’s faculty and staff. "In my final year as dean, I look forward to building on our good work, and I will continue to take pride in the law school community and its continued success."
Before joining the University of Dayton in 2011, McGreal served as associate dean for academic affairs, director of faculty development and professor of law at Southern Illinois University School of Law. McGreal's areas of expertise include constitutional law, religion and the law, First Amendment rights and business ethics. He has published nearly 40 articles and essays for law review publications at the University of Notre Dame, Northwestern University and the University of Pennsylvania, among others.
McGreal earned an LL.M from Yale Law School, a law degree from the Dedman School of Law at Southern Methodist University and a bachelor's degree in economics from Williams College.
For more information, contact Shawn Robinson, associate director of media relations, at 937-229-3391 or firstname.lastname@example.org.