Smoking on the University of Dayton Campus Policy
The University of Dayton strives to maintain a healthy workplace and productive environment for all faculty, staff, students, and visitors. For that reason, the University allows smoking on campus only in designated smoking areas.
I. Effective Date: August 1, 2013
II. Approval: August 12, 2014; University President
III. History: Approved in its original form: May 7, 2013;
Approved as amended: August 12, 2014
IV. Maintenance of Policy: Facilities Management; Office of Human ResourcesBack to top from Policy History
All University owned or leased land and buildings.Back to top from Scope
"Smoking" is defined as the smoking of tobacco, other nicotine products, and/or smoking devices that expel a smoke or vapor. It includes, but is not limited to, use of cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars, and pipes.Back to top from Definitions
- Smoking is allowed only in the exterior designated smoking areas. All tobacco products should be disposed in appropriate smoking receptacles – not on the ground. Designated smoking areas are clearly marked with signs. (see “Designated Smoking Areas Map”).
- Public streets, alleys, and sidewalks are not affected by this policy nor are any privately owned vehicles. Smoking is not allowed on University owned roadways, parking lots outside of designated areas, and sidewalks.
- All University buildings including student residence halls and apartments (per the University of Dayton Housing Contract) are smoke free, except for University Houses.
- Smoking is also prohibited in all vehicles owned or leased by the University, including golf carts and club car type vehicles.
- In our continued efforts to promote a healthy environment, we offer those seeking to quit smoking cessation assistance through the University’s Human Resources office.
1. Designated Smoking Areas map
2. University of Dayton Housing Contract
3. State of Ohio Revised Code 3794
4. D.P.S.U., Local 101 A.F.S.C.M.E. Per Article 7.02
5. Office of Human Resources Policies and Procedures Handbook for Professional & Support Staff Employees (Compensation Management section)