Frequently Asked Questions

Is the Center for Alcohol and Other Drugs Resources and Education where you go if you get in trouble for alcohol and other drugs?

Alcohol and Substance Awareness Program, Alcohol Skills Training Program, Alcohol Check-Up, Drug Check-up, Substance Education Program, and Professional Alcohol and Other Drugs Assessment are all possible judicial sanctions.  Our classes are based on the latest research on reducing harm among college students who choose to drink. 

The Center for Alcohol and Other Drugs Resources and Education is here to help provide you with resources and information to make healthy and informed choices.  We provide information and resources for students who are in recovery or who wish to abstain from alcohol or other drugs.

Am I an alcoholic?

What you probably want to know is whether you should be concerned about your alcohol use or if your drinking has become a problem. Problem drinking begins when your use moves from safe and responsible to excessive and irresponsible. When drinking begins to interfere with school, work, friends, family, community, or well-being, it has officially become a problem. Problem drinking includes drinking to get drunk, providing alcohol to minors, missing class from a hangover, getting into fights or arguments, blacking out, getting into legal or disciplinary trouble, and drinking and driving.

If you would like feedback on whether your alcohol use is normal or if you would like help on changing your use of alcohol or other drugs, please contact our office or take advantage of the many resources available. 

What is binge drinking?

Also known as heavy episodic drinking, binge drinking is a term used for drinking that results in a BAC of .08% or higher. For women, this usually means having four drinks or more in two hours; for men, it is five drinks or more. Binge drinking greatly increases the likelihood of negative consequences associated with drinking.

What are the symptoms of alcohol poisoning?

  • Passing out and not waking up
  • Vomiting
  • Cold, clammy skin
  • Pale or bluish-tinted skin
  • Breathing less than 10 times per minute and/or there are more than 10 seconds between breaths
  • Strong odor of alcohol

Remember that not all symptoms need to be present for someone to experience alcohol poisoning. If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning, call Public Safety at 937-229-2121.

I am concerned about my alcohol or drug use or I am concerned about a roommate or a friend.  Can I talk to someone?

CADRE offers prevention and intervention services, consultation to students, faculty, staff, and parents. You can met with our staff to discuss your concerns in a free and confidential consultation, however we do not offer on-going alcohol and other drug counseling. We are able to connect you with campus and community resources if needed.  

I am in recovery from alcohol or other drugs.  What resources are available to me on campus and in the surrounding community?

There is a support group for students effected by substance use disorders called Forward and Beyond. It is held every Wednesday from 4-5PM in Adele Center 120.  CADRE also offers consultations and can refer to community resources for further services as needed. 


Center for Alcohol and Other Drugs Resources and Education

Adele Center
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 2610