Assignment Process

How are first year assignments determined?

First-Year student assignments are based on their choice of learning community.

When and how will I receive my housing assignment?

Assignment notification is available on Porches no later than August 1.

If I should change rooms during the academic year, is there any assistance in making the move?

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any assistance. We also do not have any dollys to assist with the move.

Contract Questions

How long is my housing contract in effect?

Contract covers both Fall and Spring semesters of the academic year, it does not cover Christmas break, Spring Break periods, or summer sessions as residence facilities are closed.

Can I cancel my housing contract? What is the process to cancel my contract?

Please review our Housing Contract Cancellation Policies.

Damage Charges

My roommate damaged something and I don't want to be charged for it; what do I do?

You need to provide a written statement signed by all roommates indicating the responsible person and hand that in to the front desk.

I understand that residents are responsible for the room/suite/apartment they live in at UD. But what about damages that occur in common areas of the residential facilities, such as hallways, bathrooms, lounges, stairwells, elevators, etc?

Community damages are billed in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Residential Living Contract signed by all residents. When damage other than normal wear and tear is found in common areas of a residential facility, the priority is to bill only those responsible for the cost of repair and/or clean up. However, if the responsible person(s) can not be identified, those costs will be divided among the residents of the community (floor, wing, or building) where the damage occurred. Community damage charges are billed on a monthly basis. When a student’s accumulated community damages exceed $2.00 in a given month, their Bursar account is charged and they receive notification of that charge via e-mail.

Housing and Meal Plan Requirements

What is the housing requirement at the University of Dayton?

All first year and second year students must live on campus unless they are classified as commuter students. If you are a transfer student you must live in University Housing if you have attended any college for less than four semesters.

Do I need a meal plan?

All students residing in traditional residence facilities (Stuart, Marycrest, Founders, Marianist Hall and Virginia W. Kettering) are required to purchase a meal plan. Questions regarding meal plans, Flyer Express, dining locations and menus can be found on the Dining Services website.

Mailing and Phone Information

Where do I receive my mail and what is my mailing address?

All residence halls, suites, apartments, and houses have mailboxes in the facility. For a specific mailing address, first year students can find addresses on Porches beginning in August. Returning students may find mailing addresses on the detailed information page for each facility from the Residential Facilities section of the website.

Where can I find telephone numbers for the all housing facilities?

You may search the housing facilities site to find a phone number.


What policies are there regarding noise?

Excessive noise - The most common problem on campus and in residence hall facilities. Between the hours of 6:00 PM and 12:00 Midnight, each floor designates four hours as study time on nights preceding undergraduate class days.All residence hall facilities observe quiet hours from 12:00 Midnight until 8:00 AM. During exam periods, quiet hours are in effect 24 hours a day. Amplifications of music levels which disturb other residents or which disrupt the peace of the campus and its extended boundaries (Stewart Street and Irving Avenue) is a serious annoyance and is strictly prohibited by the University of Dayton. Violators may be subject to disciplinary action.

Can I have a pet in university housing?

University of Dayton does not permit any pets in residence hall facilities, suites, apartments, houses, public buildings, classrooms, eating areas or to roam about the campus unleashed and unattended by the owner. Violations can lead to the following accumulated residential fines in addition to charges for cleaning and/or damages, housing reassignment or eviction:

FIRST OFFENSE: $ 50.00 (fine)
SECOND OFFENSE: $ 75.00 (fine)
THIRD OFFENSE: $100.00 (fine)

If ownership cannot be determined, charges are assessed to all residents of room/suite/house/apartment. Residents are also assessed a carpet cleaning charge in addition to all fines.

What does UD do regarding security?

There are security cameras at main entrance doors and in building elevators.  In addition, housing facilities have the following door access restrictions:

From 10:00pm to 7:00am Sunday through Saturday, all doors to the side and rear entrances of student housing facilities are locked and inaccessible from the outside.  During those times, students will need to enter through the main entrance in order to gain access to a building.  To ensure egress during a fire emergency, students are always able to exit out of any exterior door. However, students will need to re-enter through the main entrances during restricted hours.

You are advised to always take your ID/access card with you whenever you leave your room/suite/apartment.  For your own safety and the safety and security of all residents of your building, do not prop open exterior doors. Door alarms will sound and there are cameras placed at each egress. Remember, you can exit out of any door at any time, but after 10:00pm you can only enter residential facilities via the main building entrance(s).  Side and rear entrances will be accessible by ID card only prior to 10:00pm.

What is the guest policy?

A guest is defined as either an external visitor of a student and/or a student who is being hosted in the residence of a fellow student.  To help preserve the safety and security of students residing in university housing, students must register overnight guests using the online housing portal.  This simple process enables the University to know who is in each housing facility in the event of an emergency. Overnight guests are not permitted during orientation week, final examination weeks or dates when the housing facilities are closed. The University reserves the right to require additional guest registration requirements during specified times of the year. Guests that stay more than 2 consecutive nights or more than 5 days in a month require the consent of the roommate and the Area Coordinator/Resident Director for the building.

Each student has the right to reasonable privacy in their living situation. Guests (student or non student) are not permitted to stay overnight if they are of the opposite gender from the students residing in the room/suite/apartment/house.  This includes family members.  If your guest is of the opposite gender, you will also need to provide the contact information for a same-gender location where your guest will be sleeping.  Guests are not permitted to sleep on floors that are occupied by the opposite gender. Guests may not sleep in an unoccupied bed without the prior written consent of the student who primarily uses that bed.  

Any guest who is a minor must have a parent or guardian sign the Housing and Residence Life Waiver for Minors and bring it with them when they check–in.  Any minor without the signed waiver will be required to have their parent or guardian email a completed copy before they will be allowed to check-in.  Students must accompany their visitors at all times and will be held responsible/accountable for the conduct of their guests.

How do I register a guest?

To register your guest, select the visitor option from the housing portal, http://myhousing.udayton.edu.  Registrations should be completed at least 2 business days before the guest’s scheduled arrival.  Upon arriving at the University of Dayton, you and your guest will need to check-in at the front desk of your housing facility.

Does the university insure my belongings?

The university does not insure residents' belongings. However a majority of homeowners policies do cover students who are away at college. If not, you may want to consider purchasing an umbrella policy.

When do the residence halls close?

A student must leave twenty-four hours after their last exam for the fall, spring, and summer semesters.

Can I stay in my housing during Christmas and Spring Break?

Please review our extended stay/early arrival policies.

May I loft my bed?

Lofts may not be constructed and installed in University Housing.

Is it ok to bunk or unbunk the beds?


My roommate moved out - what happens now?

For students residing in Founders Hall, Marycrest Complex, Marianist Hall, or Stuart Complex, within a week of your roommate moving out, you may either choose a roommate to move in with you or a random roommate may be assigned.

I locked my room key/card in my room - what do I do?

Go to the front desk to borrow the key/card. There is a $10 charge for each time you borrow the key/card.

I lost my room key, what do I do?

Go to the front desk to report the lost key. A lock change will be ordered and the student will be charged $125 for the lock change. If the mailbox key was lost as well, there will be an additional $10 charge for it (for Marycrest, VWK and Stuart Complex only).

I forgot to turn in my keys at the end of the year?

There is a flat fee of $125 for improper checkout. 

I have lost my student ID/FlyerCard, what do I do?

You need to report this to the Campus Card Services Office to receive a replacement. There is a charge associated with replacing your ID card.

When are the buildings locked?

All buildings are locked over Thanksgiving Break, Christmas Break and Spring Break. During the academic year, Marycrest Complex, Marianist Hall, Founders Hall, Stuart Complex, Virginia W. Kettering Residence Hall, Campus South and Lawnview apartments main entry way is locked from Midnight to 7 a.m. every day.

Room Details

What is included in the room?

All first year facilities come with a mini-fridge, a bed per person, an Ethernet port per student, closet space, desk and desk chair.

What is the size of the mattresses in the rooms?

All beds are standard twin width of 36 inches and extra long length of 80 inches, except for beds in Virginia W. Kettering, which are standard width of 36 inches and standard length of 76 inches. Extended or extra long sheets are recommended. Standard twin sheets are possible; however, corners will tear over time.

What appliances are allowed?

The following items are acceptable: portable hair dryer, electric coffee pot, corn popper, tape recorder, desk lamp, stereo, radio, clock, razor, fan, and TV, VCR, DVD player.

The following appliances are NOT ACCEPTABLE: microwaves, hot plates, toasters, air conditioners (except for University installed units).

Does the university provide a room refrigerator?

All residence halls, suites, apartments, and houses come with refrigerators.

May I loft my bed?

Lofts may not be constructed and installed in University Housing.

How much storage space is under my bed?

Please refer to the detailed information page for the facility you are assigned.

Is it ok to bunk or unbunk the beds?


May I decorate my room with posters and things?

You can decorate your room with posters as long as you use poster putty to hang them up. You may not use nails or any adhesive tape that would damage walls. Poster putty must be removed before vacating residence.

What should I bring when I move in to my room?

Many new students wonder about what they will need to bring along with them when they come to the University of Dayton. This is a list of items designed to make your stay at UD more enjoyable. The items contained in this list are suggestions, you may not need all of them, and you can always bring other personal keepsakes. It is a good idea to contact your roommate before coming to UD so that you may share the larger items-one student can bring the TV and the other can provide the carpet.

Services Available

Where may I do my laundry?

All residence halls, suites, and apartments have laundry room facilities. Each facility has washers and dryers. Washers cost $1.50 and dryers cost $1.00. McGinnis Center has laundry facilities available for students living in university houses.

Who cleans my room?

Once you move in, you are responsible for keeping your room clean. You must leave your room in the same condition it was when you moved in. Failure to do so may result in financial charges being assessed to your student account.

Is there any on-campus storage for my personal belongings?

There is no storage on campus.

Is cable TV provided?

All residential facilities are wired for cable. For a listing of the available channels, click HERE.

Is phone service provided?

Local phone service is included in the rent you pay to live on campus. However, telephones are not provided. You may bring one from home.

How can I make long distance calls on my room phone?

You will need an access code from telecommunications to make long distance calls on your room phone.

Is there an ATM/Bank/Credit Union on campus?

Yes, Day Air Credit Union is in Marianist Hall (on the east end of the building) next to the Post Office. There are Day Air ATMs located in Kennedy Union, College Park Center, Marianist Hall, Marycrest Complex, Campus South, RecPlex and Virginia W. Kettering Hall. Other bank ATMs are located in Kennedy Union and on Brown Street.

Types of Housing

What type of housing is available for a first-year student?

All first year students are housed in one of four residence halls: Founders Hall, Marianist Hall, Marycrest Complex and Stuart Hall.

What housing is available for upperclassmen?

2nd year students are eligible to live in Virginia W. Kettering Residence Hall or Campus South Apartments, Marianist Hall, Marycrest Complex, and in some years Garden Apartments. Juniors and Seniors can live in Garden Apartments, Lawnview Apartments, some Marycrest rooms, and the Student Neighborhood/University Houses.

Do you have family housing?

No, we do not have any family housing available.

Visiting Campus

Can I stop in and see what my room looks like?

Residence halls are closed during the summer, and visitors are not permitted access to these buildings. However, there are tours provided to prospective students by the Office of Admission and Financial Aid. These do not go to every building.

Contact Us

Housing and Residence Life

Gosiger Hall 210 
300 College Park 
Dayton, Ohio 45469