COMMENCEMENT GUIDELINES AND PROTOCOL
The University of Dayton Commencement is a formal ceremony and a dignified event. Please note the following protocol.
Failure to follow Graduation Protocol or exhibition of any behavior deemed inappropriate may result in the removal of the candidate from the Arena and the withholding of their diploma.
- Attendance at the Graduation Ceremony is not compulsory. If you do not plan to attend the ceremony, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by April 19, 2013.
- Caps and gowns may not be altered in any way. Academic regalia that may be worn at graduation includes caps, gowns, and only those honor cords that are distributed by the Registrar’s office.
- Casual business attire should be worn under the gown.
- Security measures prohibit carry-in items. Coats, purses and other items are subject to inspection. Small, hand-held recording devices are permitted. Tripods are not permitted and electrical hook-ups are not available.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted.
- Graduates are to remain in their assigned seats and remain in the Arena for the duration of the Graduation Ceremony which will be approximately one hour.
- Silly string, beach balls, inflatable animals and other related items distract from the dignity of the Graduation Ceremony and will not be permitted.
- Please silence all hand-held electronic devices such as cell phones.
- Undergraduate candidates please assemble in the Arena no later than 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, May 5, 2013. Graduate and Doctoral candidates please assemble in the Arena no later than 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 4, 2013.
- All graduates will receive a proxy diploma at the graduation ceremony. Official diplomas will be mailed to the address indicated on the graduation application within four (4) weeks of graduation. Diplomas will be issued only after all academic obligations have been met.
- There are no tickets for the Graduation Ceremony. Seating is on a first-come first-serve basis. Please note that there is some reserved seating adjacent to the arena floor.
- Graduation Announcements may be purchased at the Graduation Fair (Date Here) or at the University Bookstore.
- Requests for special accommodations for graduates should be made to graduation @udayton.edu at least two weeks prior to the ceremony.
- A photographer from GradImages will take individual photos as the diploma is presented to the graduate. Approximately two weeks following the ceremony, the graduate will be provided instructions on how to order photos should they wish to do so.
- Official transcripts, with final degrees posted, will be available approximately 4 weeks after graduation. Requests for official transcripts must be made in writing by the student to the Registrar’s office. Transcript requests can be made in person, by mail, or via the web. Please see registrar.udayton.edu for details. Please note that your official diploma will come with a voucher that can be redeemed for a complimentary transcript.
- There is a $90 non-refundable fee that is assessed to all graduates regardless of ceremony participation.
If you have any other questions regarding graduation, please call the Registrar’s Office at (937) 229-4141 or 1-800-259-8864.