Opportunities & Activities

Economics and finance majors have many opportunities for activities that will enrich their formal classroom instruction. Most of these involve hands-on experiences that give them skills that will significantly enhance their career prospects. Business firms are looking for college graduates that have not only received the highest quality classroom instruction, but also demonstrate real world experience. At UD, we have both. Many of these opportunities also allow students to network with industry professionals, another huge advantage enjoyed by economics and finance majors.



DAVIS CENTER

The Richard P. and Susan P. Davis Center for Portfolio Management is a unique opportunity.  The Center is run by student managers and team leaders selected competitively each year.  The most visible part of the Center is the $17 million portfolio of stocks managed by Center students.  This is real money and students make the decisions as to what stocks to buy and sell.  They are assisted by the Center director and two executives-in-residence, real world practitioners—but the decisions are made by the students.  This is one of the largest student managed funds in the world.  They play a role in hosting RISE, the world’s largest student investment forum.  They also conduct educational seminars, arrange field trips, participate in national finance competitions, undertake service projects—and, perhaps most importantly—they teach each other. Visit the Davis Center for Portfolio Management>>

Hanley Sustainability Fund

The Hanley Sustainability Fund (HSF) is a student managed equity portfolio, whose goal is to outperform the overall stock market while investing in 'sustainable' companies. According to the HSF, a company is considered 'sustainable' if the company is reducing its greenhouse gas emissions, reducing waste and scrap, using its resources in an efficient manner, limiting its reliance on fossil fuels, or introducing and developing products that enable customers to do the same. The HSF’s investment portfolio is divided into two branches: the discretionary branch which contains approximately 75% of the fund’s portfolio, and a non-discretionary branch that is compromised of the remaining 25% of the fund’s assets. The non-discretionary portion of the portfolio is determined by an algorithmic model, while the discretionary portion of their portfolio is determined through student buy and sell pitches and approval from a vote by the securities team. Visit Hanley Trading Center >>

UD2NYC

UD2NYC is a unique education opportunity for 12-16 select economics and finance majors to travel to New York City and visit corporations and major financial institutions. Consistent with the UD School of Business Administration’s goal of providing experiential learning to our students, each institution will attempt to give their unique perspective on: (i) the duties and responsibilities of a recent college graduate, (ii) the tools from college economics and finance courses that are necessary to perform well as a new hire, and (iii) an overview of the typical career path. Visit UD2NYC >>

STOCK PITCH COMPETITION

UD students can win cash prizes in the annual Richard P. and Susan P. Davis Stock Pitch Competition where teams compete by offering a presentation that supports and explains their stock recommendation. Read more >>

PROFESSIONAL SPEAKER DAY

Held annually, Professional Speaker Day is a wonderful blending of theory with practice, a hallmark of our teaching philosophy in the School of Business Administration. Planning begins by asking faculty to suggest a session topic that woud enhance or supplement their course content. Practitioners who are familiar with those topics are then invited to address them. Read more >>

OMICRON DELTA EPSILON

ODE is the international honor society for economics.  The Ohio Tau chapter is housed at the University of Dayton. Members must achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.25, take at least 12 hours of economics courses, and maintain a 3.25 GPA in economics.  The focus of ODE at UD is to build closer relationships with faculty and economics students through interaction outside of the classroom.  Members also receive a subscription to The American Economist and become eligible to earn awards for writing in economics.  Visit www.omicrondeltaepsilon.org