- Environmental Health & Safety/Risk Management
- About EHS/RM
- Emergency Information
- Online Training
- Biological Safety
- Compressed Gas Cylinder
- Dining Services
- Driver Safety
- Hazard Communication
- Hazardous Materials Shipping
- Laboratory Safety
- Laser Safety
- Respiratory Protection
- X-Ray Emitting Equipment Training
- Risk Management
- Safety Culture
- Get In Touch
Driver Safety Online Training
The University of Dayton Vehicle Use and Driver Training Policy is established as part of the continuing efforts to improve the safety of University faculty, staff, students, and volunteers who operate University-insured vehicles, utility carts or rentals for University business-related events and operations. This program reduces the risk of injury to our campus community and also reduces loss to the University.
Policy and Requirements
Any individual who needs to drive a University-insured vehicle (owned, leased, donated, rented or a golf cart) for University business is required to complete the online training (consisting of a presentation, registration and quiz) and meet the insurance requirements according to the following specifications prior to receiving approval for driving on behalf of the University:
- Students are required to complete the driver training session annually.
- University personnel that operate or could be called upon to operate a University-insured vehicle on a regular basis as part of their job description i.e. Public Safety, Facilities Management, Central Receiving, UDit, and delivery Drivers, etc., are required to complete the driver training session annually. Individuals who have a UD personally-assigned vehicle also need complete the training annually.
- Volunteers must also complete the training annually.
- All University personnel (staff, faculty) who do not drive regularly (less than 4 times per month) are required to complete the driver training session every 3 years.
- Ongoing certification is based upon the individual maintaining a non-risk driving record and less than six points.
For additional information and requirements, please refer to the vehicle use policy.
(click screenshot to open the training presentation as a pdf)
All drivers must complete and sign a registration form. The original form must be mailed to Environmental Health and Safety / Risk Management (+2904) prior to driving a University-related vehicle.
Submission of a quiz is required for documentation purposes prior to driving a University-related vehicle.
- If you are driving a University-insured vehicle and are in an accident, please view the information in this link regarding the proper procedure for reporting accidents.
- If you drive a golf cart or other utility vehicle, you must also follow the driver’s training requirements. Please refer to the Vehicle Use Program for additional instructions and zone maps.
- If you have additional questions regarding insurance coverage, would like to know when you last completed the driver’s training, or need an insurance card prior to a trip, please contact our office at 937-229-4503 and we will gladly assist.