F-1 Immigration Regulations

This is summary of basic F-1 guidelines. You can find more detailed explanations in the sections listed on the left.

Keep your passport valid for at least 6 months. Contact your home country's embassy in the U.S. for information about renewing your passport validity.

Keep your local address updated. Keep your local residential address current by filling out an Address Change Form. F-1 students must ensure that their U.S. telephone number(s) and local U.S. and permanent home country addresses are always accurate in UD’s records. DHS requires all non-immigrants to update their address within 10 days of any change.

Maintain full-time enrollment. You must be full-time each semester. See "Full-time study" for specific minimum requirements.

Get ISSS approval before a withdrawal from the University of Dayton. If for some reason you must withdraw from your program or drop below full-time, you are required to have approval from

Attend the school noted on your I-20. You must have a current, valid I-20 from the school you are attending. If you transfer from another school to the University of Dayton, the transfer process must be completed before the semester begins.

Keep your I-20 valid at all times. Submit an application for Extension of Program if the completion date on your I-20 will expire within the next 30 days and you need more time to complete your program of study. The completion date can be found in Box #5 on the I-20 form. You must also request a new I-20 if you change your major or your degree level, e.g. Ph.D. to Master's.

Get a travel endorsement. Before your departure from the U.S., request a signature for re-entry from ISSS. The signature is valid for one year.

Get proper employment permission. For on-campus employment, limit employment to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Employment on-campus may be full-time in the summer and vacation periods. No special work permit is required. For off-campus employment, do not work off-campus without permission. Work permission for F-1 students must be approved through ISSS and the USCIS.

Related Links